Question Windows 10 Startup Crash (Machine Check Exception) after Windows Update

AeroRaiser

Honorable
May 24, 2016
A few weeks ago Windows tried to install updates and failed (KB4592449 and KB4598479), and I had to deal with the Undoing Changes issues, which I eventually got passed. Then I deferred updates til March so hopefully that issue would be fixed by time it came around. Well then windows forced this update again yesterday morning, and then I started getting the Machine Check Exception error during boot. I eventually got my PC into safe mode using the installation media, ran some scans, and then ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. After all of that, I can occasionally get to my desktop, but once I do, the error happens again before I can even do anything. Booting into safe mode never fails, but trying to boot normally does. The error even occasionally happens when running the installation media (though it hasn't since running chkdsk) Can anyone help me figure out what's causing this and potentially fix it. I've considered reinstalling windows though that would lead to alot of pain re-setting up apps and certain games from the Microsoft Store and Xbox Gamepass App, as well many of my tools used for work. Also, with those updates, ive tried to remove them, but when I do, windows asks to restart then goes through the Undoing Changes mess again as if they can't remove them.

=PC Specs=

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600
GPU: NVidia GTX 1660 Super
RAM: 16GB Single Channel
PSU: EVGA 700B
MB: Msi Z370 A-Pro

=Things I've already done=

SFC
Chkdsk (/f and /r)
Mem test (no issues)
Removing update (failed)
Startup repair (internal and installation media - either crashes or says nothing is wrong)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nP7LMTySCoFaBdwBcRx1-X1PS0UpmEt7/view?usp=sharing I went through event viewer in Safe mode and came across multiple instances of this. Would this mean my CPU is the problem?

Last edited:
A few weeks ago Windows tried to install updates and failed (KB4592449 and KB4598479), and I had to deal with the Undoing Changes issues, which I eventually got passed. Then I deferred updates til March so hopefully that issue would be fixed by time it came around. Well then windows forced this update again yesterday morning, and then I started getting the Machine Check Exception error during boot. I eventually got my PC into safe mode using the installation media, ran some scans, and then ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. After all of that, I can occasionally get to my desktop, but once I do, the error happens again before I can even do anything. Booting into safe mode never fails, but trying to boot normally does. The error even occasionally happens when running the installation media (though it hasn't since running chkdsk) Can anyone help me figure out what's causing this and potentially fix it. I've considered reinstalling windows though that would lead to alot of pain re-setting up apps and certain games from the Microsoft Store and Xbox Gamepass App, as well many of my tools used for work. Also, with those updates, ive tried to remove them, but when I do, windows asks to restart then goes through the Undoing Changes mess again as if they can't remove them.

=PC Specs=

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600
GPU: NVidia GTX 1660 Super
RAM: 16GB Single Channel
PSU: EVGA 700B
MB: Msi Z370 A-Pro

=Things I've already done=

SFC
Chkdsk (/f and /r)
Mem test (no issues)
Removing update (failed)
Startup repair (internal and installation media - either crashes or says nothing is wrong)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nP7LMTySCoFaBdwBcRx1-X1PS0UpmEt7/view?usp=sharing I went through event viewer in Safe mode and came across multiple instances of this. Would this mean my CPU is the problem?
What does device manger show and can you upload photos through imgur please post theyre link here

AeroRaiser

Honorable
May 24, 2016
The majority of items in Device manage show the same message "The driver was not loaded because the system is booting into safe mode." I cannot start windows normally since I get the "Machine Check Exception" error before im at my desktop, most of the time during windows startup.

AeroRaiser

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Not at all, the only indiction of a CPU issue is the event log i posted in original post. the crash does not happen in safe mode, but does happen when loading normally and even when just using the Windows Installation Media sometimes