Question Windows 10 strange bug with external hard drives.

Dec 20, 2019
I've experienced this bug before, but it's something that never constantly happened.

I backup regularly with a backup program to a portable hard drive (2.5" enclosure i got on amazon), as well as a 3.5" drive in one of those toaster type docks. I have this bug in where A backup task freezes and hangs. I try to cancel it in the program Bvckup 2, but it simply stays at "cancelling." I then try and access the drive in windows explorer. It never loads. The computer becomes unresponsive to tasks, and If i try to log out or shutdown/restart, it never does. I ended up having to hit the reset button on my computer. I've notice this happen when I copy from one external to another. When i previously had this issue, the same thing would happen when copying files via explorer. It would hang, and the computer would start acting up.

This time, I think I've been able to pinpoint the cause as being oracle virtualbox which i use regularly. The failed backup completed flawlessly when i ran it without a virtual machine also running.

It may be worth mentioning that these are bitlocker encrypted drives.
Anything to worry about?

onespeedbiker

Respectable
Apr 13, 2019
Without knowing your computer, it sounds like you are simply running out of resources. Running a virtualbox eats up resources as does a backup, so does transferring data between drives Your PC slows down until it becomes unresponsive.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS