Question Windows 10 Streaming Sticks

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would presume that a single topic is fine. I must say that I am shocked that moderators would delete both an original topic and another that simply pointed to it. I lost the last one here, too, so am now posting again, as a single post, in only the Windows 10 forum.

I have a situation where I will be using a service called Spinify to stream content to multiple TV sets for public display. The location where I will be doing so (and someone else will be doing the long term "care and feeding" after setup) is already a Windows 10 shop, so I've eliminated ChromeOS-based and Amazon Fire-based options as just adding another layer of complication by involving another operating system with which no one is familiar.

There are quite a few options on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=windows+10+streaming+stick

Based on recent developments with Microsoft wanting at least 32GB of free space for Feature Updates that pretty much eliminates the 2GB/32GB options. There are lots of 4GB/64GB options. Since the only thing the device will be used for is streaming there is no need for massive "firepower."

I have no experience with this specific hardware, and there are often brands and/or models to seek out that are more robust and ones to avoid.

Anyone who has direct experience with these devices and has recommendations (whether for a good one or input on "avoiding like the plague") I'd appreciate hearing those.

Brian,

It does not matter whether your customer is Windows / Mac or Ford shop. End devices like Chromecast and Fire Sticks are OS-agnostics, they don't care what OS is used to control them as long as the application running under that OS "talks" the appropriate protocol. That's why you'll see eg Chromecast app running on Windows, iOS, inside browser etc.

I don't know the way Spinify operates, but you should check with them what end devices they support, and what master OS is needed. I don't see a reason to populate TVs with Windows PCs.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The reason I'm leaning toward Windows sticks is for the end-user. They don't have to learn another OS.

These sticks powered by Windows 10 are the same size and shape as Chromecast and Fire Stick devices.

I could have elected to go with casting, but ruled that out because that means you need to have some PC, somewhere, running for each TV being cast to.

Spinify allows the creation of TV channels (in a manner of speaking) that are accessed via a specific private URL. I could use any browser of my choosing to have the "TV end" of the equation on the streaming device pull content and present it.

Every time you add in another OS for non tech folks it just increases the learning curve. The Windows 10 streaming sticks are at the same price point as the others, too, and a number of them are better equipped for using USB keyboards/mice with.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just thought I'd follow up on this after working with the client.

We ended up using this ACEPC fanless stick computer model as our "proof of concept" device to set up display of the Spinify content they want at various location. It worked beautifully.

The entire setup of Win10, downloading of the Chrome browser (their choice), and setting up a startup task to fire up Chrome in full-screen mode with the correct private Spinify private channel took under an hour.

Depending on the environment, I might prefer one with a built-in fan, but in this case the display TVs are all located in places where ambient air circulation around the stick is not restricted in any way, and given the low processing load involved it is not likely to overheat.

The remaining stick computers are on order and the client has a set of step-by-step instructions I put together so she can configure all of the remaining devices independently.

Reactions: Alabalcho