[SOLVED] Windows 10 stuck on 'working on updates'

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
So last night I decided to Update my windows from build 1809 to 1903, I left my pc on overnight and when I woke up the screen was and still is on:

'Working on Updates 29%
Don't turn off your Pc. this will take a while.

Your Pc will restart several times'

Several hours later the pc hasnt restarted a single time and its still on 29%, since I started updating its been about 16 hours. I went online to look for a solution and all I found out was that this process should only take about half an hour.
My internet download speed is 76mbs and upload is 18mbs.

Solution
There are several bugs on 1903 so let Microsoft fix them before installing it.
If you want to try again, I will suggest you disable any antivirus or security software.
On PCs with similar issue , I tried manually by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant and the installation went thru in 1/2 hour.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Your PC is stuck and you will have to power off and see if reverts back to previous version.
Did you get the 1903 thru Windows update?
Yes basically I went into Update and security settings and it said that the next version of windows is availible so I clicked on download and install now which started the whole process. I have restarted as you have said and it said 'undoing changes made to your computer' after that process finished my windows loaded in normally without any trouble however Im still on the 1809 build :/

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just for the record, I have never, ever seen a Feature Update complete on any machine with an HDD (they're much faster, like everything else, with an SSD) in anything close to half an hour.

On my machine with an AMD A12-9700P APU and a 2 TB HDD the fastest ones are over an hour, the average is around 2 to 2.5 hours.

And if you decide to download updates as part of the update your internet speed will have a direct impact on how long that part of the process, an early stage, actually takes.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Just for the record, I have never, ever seen a Feature Update complete on any machine with an HDD (they're much faster, like everything else, with an SSD) in anything close to half an hour.

On my machine with an AMD A12-9700P APU and a 2 TB HDD the fastest ones are over an hour, the average is around 2 to 2.5 hours.

And if you decide to download updates as part of the update your internet speed will have a direct impact on how long that part of the process, an early stage, actually takes.
My OS is running on an M.2 NvME SSD, but thank you for that information.