Windows 10 sucks? (or does it not?)

amilio

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Hello guys! I know this is a very common question to ask. Why does windows 10 left us with a lot of settings turned on after installing it? To be honest, I used to be a windows 8.1 user and I had to move to windows 10 because of the recent gpu I bought. It is an Asus Radeon RX 550 4gb and supports only directx 12. Upon moving to windows 10, I had to turn off a lot (TONS) of settings off to run my games as optimal as possible. So let me get straight to the question. WILL there or WILL there NOT be a new windows released? Or perhaps Microsoft should ADD directx 12 to windows 8.1?

No way windows is going to add dx12 to win 8.1. can't speak for weather or not a new Windows is on the horizon though. You shouldn't have had to change setting for games to run optimally. There is a lot to turn off for security purposes that can be very annoying for first time setup though.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You're forgetting who Microsoft designed Windows 10 Home for. It wasn't for you or me, but for people who couldn't tell the difference between a hard drive and a graphics card. It was designed to be simple to use and automatic in most cases so the average user wouldn't have to worry about doing anything. So yeah. Just about everything is turned on by default.

Currently, Microsoft is not planning any a new version of Windows but to perpetually update Windows 10.

-Wolf sends

Please expand on the many settings you've had to turn off to get your games to run 'optimally'. I'm expecting more than 10 or 20 given that there are tons of them. I actually can't think of any other than power settings.

It was stated at the start of 10, that this is probably it, just updates, whether that'll hold true in 10 years time we can't say.

Money. 100% Money. They have it set for their wants and needs and not ours. Consider an age old issue.

Your computer locks up, hangs, stops responding or crashes necessitating a manual power down. The bleeps at microsoft have now instituted a feature where windows won't go quietly into the night. It'll say something like, Please release the power button. Really M$? My PC has a completely trashed screen or not and I can hear a sound loop. Caps lock nor numberlock nor my mouse nor anything is working, yet M$ needs time to evaluate the crash and harvest that info, to improve their level of service...bullcrackers. If it were a cure for a hard lock then I would be floored M$ has actually done something right. It's not, it's only more of their telemetry <censored> Oh and by the way their latest update is also resulting in infinite boot loops.

What about the aforementioned privacy settings? They harvest as much info as possible.

They will release, iirc, 2 major updates per year and then a weekly update. I don't know if they will release a new OS.

right now and also when windows 10 was released MS said this will be the last version of windows and it will just keep giving major updates like what Apple does with MAC OSX ( mac OS). as for me, i couldn't wait to get the free update to windows 10 just to get windows 8 off my laptop.

DX12? MS is trying to get rid of windows 8 so just be lucky it is still getting security updates

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asus Radeon RX 550 has support for win 7, just not win 8. Bizarro... As it supports Win 7 it cannot just have DX 12 capability, mainly as Win 7 doesn't get DX 12 either. Look at OS Support here: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-550 under specifications

It seems odd Win 8 was missed when the two OS on both sides are supported by the card. I know Microsoft no longer support it but then they don't support 7 either.

amilio

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Thx for the answers guys. Really helpful, and yes for your info my friend had an infinite boot loop once and I had to install Windows 8.1 for him. Still though guys, this is a dick (excuse my language) move from Microsoft. I hope they can tweak Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
there is talk of Windows 10 just being called Windows eventually, as since its constantly being updated there is no real need for a new Windows, they can integrate any new features in and test them using insider program before masses get them.

It appears it was AMD that stopped supporting Win 8, nothing to do with Microsoft directly: https://community.amd.com/thread/215340