TheGamefreak484

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Hello!

Recently got myself a new PC, but I've been experiencing some weird issues.

First one happens while turning on my PC. For some reason my PC skips the entire loading process if the PC has been turned off for a while (couple hours). I see a short MSI splashscreen (the moment you can press delete to enter BIOS), and when it should load Windows with the swirly dots, it just skips it. Goes straight to the Windows log-in screen. At first glance Windows works fine, but then when you log in it lags like crazy. Mouse input lags all over the place, animations lag, audio is near inaudible due to lag, etc. It's unusuable and it doesn't get any better. I have to reboot my PC to fix it, which also doesn't work properly. If I try to restart, it gets stuck at the restart screen and never actually restarts. If I try to shut it down, it briefly goes to the shutting down screen and then the screen goes black, like it just shut down. Except the PC is still on and it never actually shuts down. In both cases I have to hold the power button to get my PC to turn off. When I turn it back on, everything loads properly and my PC acts like nothing ever happened. Second start up ALWAYS works fine.

Second issue may or may not be related to the first one. This is after a second start up. I get random lag spikes while using my PC, even when the PC is under low load. Happens when playing games, happens when watching a video, happens when I do nothing. It's super random and the lag spikes only lasts half a second to 2 seconds. Generally happens every 30 minutes or so. Lag affects both display and audio.

Details:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max Motherboard
MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC Graphics Card
Corsair vengeance LPX (2 x 8 Gb) RAM
Seasonic Core Gold GM (650 W) Power Supply
Kingston A2000 (1 Tb) SSD

Windows 10 64-bit, build 19041.329
All updates and drivers are up-to-date as far as I know

I checked the boot sequence and everything should be in the right order (not that there are many options here).
I'm not overclocking anything.

So my main question is: how do I make Windows 10 load correctly on the first start up? Help with the lag spikes would also be appreciated but I'd like to fix the boot up issue first.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Jelle

TheGamefreak484

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Could try and update bios to the latest. Do get latest AMD chipset drivers before doing that,
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

Could with Kingston tool look if the ssd had latest firmware,

BIOS is on the latest, non-beta update. I also have the latest Kingston firmware.

Those chipset drivers you linked are not for my system as I don't have Radeon (integrated) graphics, but I downloaded the application anyways to be sure. To no surprise, running the application ended up in an error telling me that tool doesn't support my build. However, for some reason, running that tool made my PC behave exactly like how it behaves after the first start up; lagging all over the place, distorted and laggy audio, and I couldn't restart without holding down the power button. I don't know what this means but it probably means something.

I did find the right chipset drivers and updated them (I'm guessing I didn't already have them since it did go through the update process). but I'll have to wait until I boot up my PC tomorrow morning to find out whether this fixed the problem or not. I'll keep you updated!

TheGamefreak484

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
In that link you can choose what drivers to get, first select "chipsets" then "socket AM4" after that "B450".
B450 Drivers & Support | AMD

Yes that's the driver I found and installed, gotta wait till tomorrow to find out if this fixes the issue or not, as I have to not use the PC for quite a while to replicate the faulty boot. It definitely didn't fix the random lag spikes though! Seems like that one's being caused by a random spike in processor usage, but I don't yet know what causes said spike.

TheGamefreak484

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Wanted you to update that driver before bios update, still think that even Beta bios migth help.

I didn't have any boot problems yesterday, but on the off chance that it was a one time thing I took an extra day for another boot-up. I had the same issue again so sadly the chipset drivers didn't fix it.

I updated the BIOS a few weeks ago. I could try to update the BIOS to the beta version but I don't know how stable it is. Is there anything else that could cause my issue?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

TheGamefreak484

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Well you could try and disable fast boot options in the bios and/or "fast start up" in windows, maybe that will help.
For windows
for bios just look at boot options, maybe advanced menu.

Could test ram with memtest86.
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool
need to make a bootable usb stick with that. Let it run overnight.

Disabling fast startup seems to have done the trick! Did some testing the past couple of days, going 3 for 3 so far. Thank you so, so much!

Do you by any chance also know a fix for the random lag spikes I've been having (as described in the initial post)? If not, I'll make a dedicated thread for that but any help would be very much appreciated!