Windows 10 system puts itself to sleep for no reason

JanSimek

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Hello Toms Hardware community, first of all id like to make it known that my english isnt perfect since its not my native language, but i will try my best to describe the issue im dealing with.

I have noticed that my system sometimes goes into sleep mode after a movie finishes playing in BSplayer. I own this system for around a year and this only happened about 3-6 times. My powerplan is set to default and therefore the system should only go to "sleep" after 30 minutes of no use. However, sometimes when a playback of a video file ends and i leave the media player alone (not touching mouse / keyboard) the screen goes black after around 2 minutes and the system puts itself to sleep. I cant figure out why is this happening or how to prevent it from happening. I will be grateful for all tips, workarounds / solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Have you moved your mouse or used the keyboard within thirty minutes before this happens?

Also, there's no need to apologize for not knowing the language too well. It's not my first language either, but I've gotten pretty good at it over the years. Your post was easily readable :)

JanSimek

Reputable
May 11, 2016

Actually no, i havent touched anything while watching the movie. Right after i made this thread i thought that perhaps windows acts as if there is nothing going on while watching a movie & goes to sleep if the video playback exceeds the time period set for sleep mode and there is nothing else in playlist to "keep it awake".

i tried to set the sleep mode to activate after 2 minutes, played the last minute and a half of a movie and indeed, the system went to sleep 30 seconds after the playback ended. Guess thats it? thanks for the feedback

JanSimek

Reputable
May 11, 2016

Hey there, checked that setting and it was by default set to "do nothing" thanks for the feedback though!

If you set it to thirty minutes and do something just before the video/movie ends, then it should stay awake for much longer.