Windows 10 take ages to load NAS

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I have a WD MyCloud NAS which is mapped onto all the computers in my house as a network drive.

When i say WD MyCloud its basically at this point a debian box with samba, i reinstalled some better firmware.

On most computers it works great, however on my main PC it runs like a**.
Originally it took 20 minuets to (i gave up) years to connect to it and after turing off windows search its now taking about 20-30 seconds.

I am running full 1GBps Ethernet using CAT6. Windows 10 x64 (fully updated) and TrendMicro AV. Windows Firewall is disabled for testing and no other programs can interfere with it as far as i know.

Any other solutions to get it working correctly again ?

Is your Win 10 computer in the same workgroup as your other computers and the NAS?

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Computer name, domain, and workgroup (Change Settings) -> Change button

Windows uses a complicated method of determining and announcing computer (and NAS) names. They wanted it to be as friendly as possible, so there is no name server. Instead, the computers in a workgroup talk randomly amongst each other to figure out who else is in the workgroup, then vote to elect a name server. If that temporary server is shut down, it takes a while for the other computers to notice and to elect a new server.

You can test if this is the problem by typing the IP address directly into the Explorer search bar. i.e. instead of trying to reach \\MyNAS, try to reach \\192.168.0.103 (or whatever the IP address of your NAS is). If that connects immediately, then your problem is a Windows nameserver resolution problem, which is most often caused by mismatching workgroups.

Earlier versions of Windows seem to be more lenient about the same workgroup requirement than newer versions. So your best bet is to check the Samba settings on the NAS to determine its workgroup. Then check all your computers to make sure they're in the same workgroup.

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
i dont use names on the NAS only IP address '192.168.1.111' so when i mapped the drive i just connected to '\\192.168.1.111\Public'. Workgroup is set at default 'WORKGROUP'
Additionally its in a DMZ so no problems with network firewall

Then my next guess would be an IP address conflict. Possible if you've assigned the NAS a static IP address, but have not told the router's DHCP server not to use that address.

Additionally its in a DMZ so no problems with network firewall
Wait, both the Win 10 computer and the NAS are on the same LAN, right? You're not trying to access the NAS from outside the LAN?

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
NAS is static and is also reserved in the DHCP (MAC address reservations) and there are no ip coflics (i get emails about that if it happens). only 1 out of 5 PCs are having this issue, specifically 1 of 2 running windows.
My Main PC (with this issue) has fully been updated, the other Win 10 PC has not so im guessing there's a windows update issue somewhere.
And yes they are on the same LAN. outside the LAN i use sftp mapping instead.