Question Windows 10 taking too long to boot

giffmetango

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019

giffmetango

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
oh look like problem is SMR HDD lol, i'm actually have some of them in both that nas and desktop, and dont even noticed about that, many people say SMR is only for achived, that mean u backup data on that hdd and remove it, and store it in safe place etc..
64MB > CMR
256MB > SMR

look like seagate/wd successfully tricked me bought several SMR HDD :) some old purchased and recently purchased :(

when i remove SMR HDD (hot-plug), speed is actually improved (windows explorer stop hang), and when i inserted it back, it took 1-2+mins for HDD shows up in windows, that SMR 4TB have about 90GB left btw

USAFRet

Titan
It is not a case of CMR vs SMR.
It is the actual (unknown) NAS box.

My QNAP TS-453A has these 4 drives:

8TB Toshiba X300 Enterprise, CMR
8TB Seagate Barracuda, SMR
18TB Seagate Exos, CMR
480GB Seagate Ironwolf SSD, System drive.

It takes several minutes to boot up.
Nature of the beast.

Reactions: giffmetango
performance penalty for SMR should be minimal unless you're erasing/rewriting to it (pagefile) or have them in RAID-1 .
SMR reads at full speed.

you're using a mobile Celeron and 4GB RAM and that's the main problem (depending on restore points or file history).

oh look like problem is SMR HDD lol, i'm actually have some of them in both that nas and desktop, and dont even noticed about that, many people say SMR is only for achived, that mean u backup data on that hdd and remove it, and store it in safe place etc..
64MB > CMR
256MB > SMR

look like seagate/wd successfully tricked me bought several SMR HDD :) some old purchased and recently purchased :(

when i remove SMR HDD (hot-plug), speed is actually improved (windows explorer stop hang), and when i inserted it back, it took 1-2+mins for HDD shows up in windows, that SMR 4TB have about 90GB left btw

giffmetango

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
https://www.intel.co.jp/content/www...0-2m-cache-up-to-2-42-ghz/specifications.html

So to be clear....

A 10W TDP Celeron J1900 (a mobile/embedded 2 GHz CPU from ~9 years ago).... is slow running Windows 10 with only 4 GB of RAM?

Alas, I suspect there is no solution for this.
i think so, i buy it cuz it have lower price than orico 4 bay

performance penalty for SMR should be minimal unless you're erasing/rewriting to it (pagefile) or have them in RAID-1 .
SMR reads at full speed.

you're using a mobile Celeron and 4GB RAM and that's the main problem (depending on restore points or file history).
but when i removed that SMR drive, windows boot is normal without waiting 3mins boot, so i think old chip/old sata gen is problem,

To be clear...
Is this a 4 bay external thing, connected via USB to a Windows 10 system?
Or do you have a Windows OS installed on it?
directly connected to mainboard through pci (but i dont know why when i disabled one of 4 hdd in pci port - BIOS, all hdd disabled, even with ethernet disabled (2LAN)