Windows 10 task bar is not working

creation88

Reputable
May 12, 2015
My windows 10 taskbar does not function properly the only thing I can do is left click the open windows. The start button does not open and Cortana doesn't work I have tried opening powershell as an admin and doing this "tabsGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"
but I get about 50 to 100 red error messages during this and at the end does not work at all. I have not been able to find a fix to this online that does not include the solve with powershell any ideas?

Solution
Hello,

You can try running a system scan and it will repair files if they need to be.
- Right-click Start and open a command prompt as administrator

type sfc /scannow.

Kindly ensure your firewall is working by going to;

1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
4. Right-click then click Properties
5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.

Once done, kindly try again your procedure with
>> Open powershell as an admin and run the command

"tabsGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...

Slashgeek

Admirable
Hello,

You can try running a system scan and it will repair files if they need to be.
- Right-click Start and open a command prompt as administrator

type sfc /scannow.

Kindly ensure your firewall is working by going to;

1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
4. Right-click then click Properties
5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.

Once done, kindly try again your procedure with
>> Open powershell as an admin and run the command

"tabsGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

Or you may try an alternate fix;

- Press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape] to start Task Manager.
- Click File -> Run new task.
- Type "cmd" into the Run dialog, tick Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

A command prompt window should open.
- Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net user Admin123 MyPassword /add
- Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
- Log off and login to the new Admin123 account. If it works correctly, you can migrate your data to the new user account.

You are welcome to replace "Admin123" with your username of choice (just enclose it in quotes if it has a space, and be sure to use the same name in both commands). The login password will be "MyPassword". You can easily change it later.
- Log off.
- Log on on new account.

Solution

Captain Pegleg

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for this reply. Creating a new account fixed the taskbar issue and another which related to 100% disk usage. Not sure why it worked but i greatly appreciate your help.

John Gleason

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Here's what I've found that actually works, and can be done pretty quickly:

1. Restart Windows Explorer. HOW--> Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Task Manager. On Processes tab scroll down to Windows Explorer and right click it. Then select Restart.
2. Sign out and back in. HOW--> Right click Start icon, select Shut down or sign out, then select Sign out.

Hope one of these works for you too.