Windows 10 Taskbar not showing running applications

Onify

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Lately I've been having a problem where the applications don't show they're open. I know they are and they open fine, they just don't show the grey/transparent box around them indicating they are open. Like in this picture : https://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/102-75277-4-218720/Windows-10-Users-Want-Microsoft-to-Go-All-in-on-the-Flat-Design-462419-2.jpg

Pretty irritating. I'm not sure what I did to cause it, the only major changes that I've made to my computer are some basic mods to video games, and a couple of regedit's for icon arrows.

I've looked for a forum / article on this and have yet to find one describing my issue. Have gone through the task bar properties and display settings, multitasking settings etc.

Thank you for help in advance :)

Onify

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
"My Windows 10 Taskbar has several app icons pinned to it. Each icon correctly opens an app when clicked on, and when an app is open, its Taskbar icon is highlighted and underlined." - I am having a very similar problem to this person, but it does highlight it when hovered over. The last line of that is my issue. When the app is open it is NOT highlighted. Hovering over it does highlight it.

Onify

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
There was nothing really wrong, but for some reason my display was literally 1440 x 895, where I run a 1440 x 900 monitor. All I had to do was hit the "Auto" button on my monitor lmao.

rekabis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Just popping in with a cause: I run four machines from behind a dual-head, four port KVM. Because it’s a VGA KVM that doesn’t use active emulation (some of my systems throw hissy fits at active emulation for various reasons), the actual screen image can shift slightly at times as the monitors adapt to the different systems they connect to.

This was one of those times. I thought I was going bonkers on my Win10 system, but no… the desktop had shifted about 2 pixels to the left (my start bar is vertical along the left side), hiding those little white stripes that show you that a program is actually open when not actively focused on.