[SOLVED] Windows 10 - TaskManager - Installer Process starting itself

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
Rudeness and profanity towards moderators is NOT TOLERATED
I deleted pretty much all of the bloatware preinstalled apps windows update etc. its all gone disabled removed and deleted get rid of it !! but theres one thing still bother me
the windows installer and modules installer service.

I cant delete those services because you know if i want to install a game a programm anything, i need them.
I mean i could export the service regfile save it to usb and delete them afteron and import them every single time i want to install something but.....
I have dissabled both that services multiple times as administrator also with a programm which gives me higher privileges but still they keep enabling them self
and sometimes they just running when i check my taskmanager, and im always asking myself what the blank is microsoft installing now on my ** pc??

and im worried if i delete those services who knows maybe my pc wont boot anymore.. it can happen if you mess around with registry and i recently reinstalled my windows so im not yet ready doing it again

So anyone knows how i can stop that services permanently from enabling itself?

[mod edit: watch your language]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
There are better ways to approach this using the Registry and Local/Group policies. What you are doing is brain surgery with a chainsaw.

1) If you don't include MS Edge or IE as a browser, how will you download another browser to use?

2) You are not required to install Outlook or Skype, and there are options to remove/choose not to install/etc.

3) Seems interesting that the request is to turn off all of these Microsoft services, but you are also installing several games (which might include launchers like Steam or Origin) which in their own right might be considered far more insecure or intrusive on what they include than Microsoft's software distribution.

4) This thread sounds far more like a paranoia approach than one...

Colif

Win 11 Master
the windows installer and modules installer service.

disabling those means windows cannot update or install anything, no shop updates, no driver updates, no program updates. no version updates... You are not the only admin on PC, you might be only human one but Windows uses System and TrustedInstaller users for many of the background tasks you ask PC to do. Messing with eithers permissions will lead to a reinstall.

and im worried if i delete those services who knows maybe my pc wont boot anymore.. it can happen if you mess around with registry and i recently reinstalled my windows so im not yet ready doing it again

Deleting them will break windows, it would boot but i don't know how long it would work.

They might be counted as protected files and windows may remake them on restart, it can do that with some files. They not necessary at boot but sure needed later on. If you did manage to delete them, you would likely need to clean install again.

Last edited:
disabling those means windows cannot update or install anything, no shop updates, no driver updates, no program updates. no version updates... You are not the only admin on PC, you might be only human one but Windows uses System and TrustedInstaller users for many of the background tasks you ask PC to do. Messing with eithers permissions will lead to a reinstall.

Deleting them will break windows, it would boot but i don't know how long it would work.

They might be counted as protected files and windows may remake them on restart, it can do that with some files. They not necessary at boot but sure needed later on. If you did manage to delete them, you would likely need to clean install again.

To be fair he could still install programs if they do not utilize the MSI type installer. If it uses a third party self contained installer it will still work. Problem is the vast majority of installers utilize MSI installations as its easier to just compile for it as it already has everything needed to run compared to having to build out your own installer.

And you are correct though. It wouldn't break Windows boot wise as those are not boot needed files but it would cause havoc on pretty much doing anything normal.

@Help4567 Beyond removing the Windows store apps there is no point to anything you are doing. Disabling and removing Windows Updates is, well its dumb. It has been in every OS since Windows 9x with it becoming more prominent in NT versions of Windows. It is not bloatware as it serves a primary function and that is keeping your system updated and patched from vulnerabilities and exploits.

Bloatware is like when you bought a Dell and it game with 10 free trial programs that are worthless. Short of the couple of third party games on Windows 10 every application on there meets a need for some person. You may not use every part of Windows but then again other people may not use a feature you do. Its better for Microsoft to include them all to cover everyone rather than put out a blank OS with nothing or have a thousand versions just to satisfy a few people.

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
You are calling me dumb for deleting the damn windows auto update are you serious xD? sorry mate in my opinion you are the "dumb" here.
If you cant help me and just going to complain for whatever reasons you dont need to be in this thread...

When i say bloatware i mean this:
OneDrive
MicrosoftEdge
Microsoft Edge
GameBarPresenceWriter
Broadcastdvr
C:\Windows\SystemApps
C:\Windows\InfusedApps\Packages
C:\Windows\InfusedApps\Applications
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

I dont need none of this trash on my PC. And there is no reason this is installed from the begging, if anyone wanted to use this he can simply download it. (obviously microsoft has diffrent opinion)

If you turn that stuff off, you will break your OS : have you tryed it or what??
You might be right but hear this, i also deleted the windows update service and what my pc is still booting as it always did. Not every regfile or service is needed for a working OS. especally not someting like autoupdate which installes sh!t on my pc which i dont *** want.

disabling those means windows cannot update or install anything, no shop updates, no driver updates, no program updates. no version updates... : YES THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. i deleted windows store because i never used this "**" and never will, i have stable drivers for all components and i dont need to update them. im fine with my windows version and i will never update it. If you love microsoft and their trojan software thats your choice, but i dont.

So is there anyone to share information how to PERMANENTLY disable windows installer service untill i want to enable it again?

Also i got preinstalled facebook and instagramm on my android-phone.
Just because a milions apes use this silly apps theres no need to F force install them on a brand new phone. And since i cant root my phone i didnt find any way to remove that *** aswell, any help is welcome...

Just realize that by disabling Windows Updates that means any vulnerabilities or exploits are un-patched leaving you extremely vulnerable and no AV program will cover those. Windows Updates covers more than just drivers, which by the way driver updates can be disabled easily.

What I meant by dumb is not you personally but that the decision is dumb. Nothing you listed is bloatware either

Skype - Basic communication application used heavily by businesses and consumers
Outlook - A basic version of an email app, email is used by everyone
OneDrive - Cloud based storage, everyone uses it
MicrosoftEdge - Basic web browser, everyone uses it

Bloatware would be like some heavy AV program or those toolbars that every company still has for some reason.

And again you can find a way to kill those but without them the vast majority of programs will not install as the vast majority use MSI which is Microsoft's installer.

The amount of work you are going through to remove basic programs and in depth functionality makes me wonder why do you not instead pick up a lean Linux distro that has nothing on it that you can put it the way you want? Would be vastly easier than trying to remove core OS functionality in it.

You seem like you also think of them as Trojans or spyware yet you are using an Android phone? An OS from Google that's free and filled with similar pre-installed applications.... From a company whose biggest profit is from ad-revenue. Weird.

Might want to strip your android phone of everything while you are at it.

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
Just realize that by disabling Windows Updates that means any vulnerabilities or exploits are un-patched leaving you extremely vulnerable and no AV program will cover those. Windows Updates covers more than just drivers, which by the way driver updates can be disabled easily.

What I meant by dumb is not you personally but that the decision is dumb. Nothing you listed is bloatware either

Skype - Basic communication application used heavily by businesses and consumers
Outlook - A basic version of an email app, email is used by everyone
OneDrive - Cloud based storage, everyone uses it
MicrosoftEdge - Basic web browser, everyone uses it

Bloatware would be like some heavy AV program or those toolbars that every company still has for some reason.

And again you can find a way to kill those but without them the vast majority of programs will not install as the vast majority use MSI which is Microsoft's installer.

The amount of work you are going through to remove basic programs and in depth functionality makes me wonder why do you not instead pick up a lean Linux distro that has nothing on it that you can put it the way you want? Would be vastly easier than trying to remove core OS functionality in it.

You seem like you also think of them as Trojans or spyware yet you are using an Android phone? An OS from Google that's free and filled with similar pre-installed applications.... From a company whose biggest profit is from ad-revenue. Weird.

Might want to strip your android phone of everything while you are at it.

> Just realize that by disabling Windows Updates that means any vulnerabilities or exploits are un-patched leaving you extremely vulnerable and no AV program will cover those. Windows Updates covers more than just drivers, which by the way driver updates can be disabled easily. <<

I am forced to delete this service since there is no other secure guaranteed way to permanently stop microsoft from trying to update my pc without my permissions. I have a backup from the service on usb so if i ever need it thats not a problem.
Its all known that microsoft force update any pc they want but not with me.

I dont need windows update i dont want windows update so i deleted it you are calling this a dumb decision, for me it is a smart decision and your comment is a dumb.

> Skype - Basic communication application used heavily by businesses and consumers <<

Yes it is and i dont care i dont use it i use discord and like i said if i wanted to use skype i would simply download it theres no need having it preinstalled...

> Outlook - A basic version of an email app, email is used by everyone <<

No. not everyone. I dont and im not alone there...
no reason to preinstall this programm either. There are many diffrent email provider and i will choose by myself which one to use...

> OneDrive - Cloud based storage, everyone uses it <<

Once again.. No not everyone i dont and for sure im not alone. It is usefull but that doesnt make it necessary to have it preinstalled......

> MicrosoftEdge - Basic web browser, everyone uses it <<

No. just no. I dont use it and im not alone again...
Sure some people use it and so what thats the reason it must be preinstalled into every operating system, mhh sure good joke but no. I use firefox and is that preinstalled in windows ???
But yes lets go braindead mode, install a fresh windows OH here i a webbrowser preinstalled im just going to use this because im to lazy to search for any others i dont even care i will just use this one, ofc there are milions of this people and im very happy to not be one of them :)

>
> And again you can find a way to kill those but without them the vast majority of programs will not install as the vast majority use MSI which is Microsoft's installer. <<
<<

How or where can i find a way to kill them? since you comment this is possible could you be so kind to share what you know?

>
> The amount of work you are going through to remove basic programs and in depth functionality makes me wonder <<
<<

Indeed i put some time and work to configure my pc the way i want it which means i get rid of preinstalled bloatware and * programs which i dont need, is it hard to understand? I use windows not linux because its better for gaming...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There are better ways to approach this using the Registry and Local/Group policies. What you are doing is brain surgery with a chainsaw.

1) If you don't include MS Edge or IE as a browser, how will you download another browser to use?

2) You are not required to install Outlook or Skype, and there are options to remove/choose not to install/etc.

3) Seems interesting that the request is to turn off all of these Microsoft services, but you are also installing several games (which might include launchers like Steam or Origin) which in their own right might be considered far more insecure or intrusive on what they include than Microsoft's software distribution.

4) This thread sounds far more like a paranoia approach than one based with relevance, especially with the arguments being made. Being concerned with the majority of Microsoft components but completely ignoring those from gaming or other application installs (including Discord) seems a bit jaded.

Solution
So how do you plat to install games to a PC that require the Windows installer to install if you have removed it?

The vast majority of games also utilize Microsofts Visual C++ redistributable that once installed maintains updates via Windows Updates. So you plan to restore the services, do what you need then remove them all over again? What if a game has an update that uses Windows Installer?

Hey put all the work you want into it. I see no way to permanently do what you want without causing a massive headache in the future.

And leaving your PC open to vastly more exploits is not what I would call the smartest of decisions.

TRENDING THREADS