Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

It would be so nice to have updates that don't require rebooting. I think you should be able to automatically install updates or at least get prompted to wait a couple of weeks to see if anyone else experience problems and any important updates that require reboots should be allowed to wait until you decide to shut it down. 4 hours sometimes isn't enough when you are doing other maintenance.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I don't like the windows 95 look. I don't care about the huge tiles. If it had Aero, I'd buy it. For now it's a pass since I have windows 7,

dgingeri

Distinguished

I just did a bunch of updates on a CentOS 6.4 VM. 138 updates, in just the last five months, and it required a reboot. Some updates are going to require a reboot because they are updating the core kernel of the OS. There's nothing that can change the requirement of a reboot in those cases. It just so happens that Microsoft has to update that core kernel about once per month, because hackers keep going after the core of the OS. It's not that any OS is particularly more or less secure. That is irrelevant. It's how much they go after a part of the OS, and how much they go after the OS itself, that determines how often those vulnerabilities are revealed.

Virtual Desktops .... Geez.... HP Dashboard had a model that hasn't been matched yet 20 years ago and Mijenix / Vcom / Avanquest picked up the model with the PowerDesk File Manager and Toolbar (later "Coolbar) right after that. Can't we get something like that after 20 years ?

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Well, there needs a better way.. at least allow windows update to allow the user to set a specific time to reboot, including a reminder that enables you to change the time if needed. Many times i forget that i have updates and there's been times where the updates could have been installed but had forgotten to check. I do have Windows updates reminding me but again that feels like all the time and i will wait to see if there is any problems with the updates before installing them.

Anyway i did finally get Windows 10 to work in VirtualBox (running it now) and it's ok. Certainly looks less appealing than Windows 7 still, i ended up downloading a wallpaper to get rid of the plain one in the background. Going to see whether i can tweak the taskbar and the start menu. The nice addition to the start menu search is you get internet results as well. Still it feels like they are forcing the modern app stuff. If i had to use it i'd rather use it over W8.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Looking at these features ist a big list of boring / never gonna use that, sure they are making their apps less shit but that does not make them good and sure they add the start menu back which is something I could do on windows 8 day one. Virtual desktops is nice to have at least 10 years after linux. and sure a notification center may also help but overall I wished they focused more on quality of life then they did.

For example I doubt windows is going to handle window placement on multi screen setups any better, windows explorer will still probably not include a split view or multi tabbed browsing. they will probably not turn of the retarded warning your device may not be able to play this file even though at least 100 files with the same extention have been transfered to the device before.

File system support will probably not include some file systems from linux, windows shares will probably still bug out.

And that is just naming a few annoyances from the top of my head.

Thrillogy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Just so everybody knows, they skipped windows 10 due to the compatability errors that poorly written programs might have related to windows 95/98. AKA, some might have lines of code searching for a OS starting with 9, and treating windows 9 as windows 98 or 95. Making it 10 removes the problem. That's what I would do, anyway.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I'd really like to see more optimizations. Can't give direct feedback as I am not a programmer or anything. But something is seriously wrong when Windows is the primary platforms for gaming outside of consoles yet Linux is blowing away windows with performance stats on the same hardware, they could probably use some optimizations somewhere in there.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
That design is very undynamic visually & functionally. Imo they should have extended the start menu all the way to the top and they should have given it more features/depth https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/102160187/disp/c72024f0e80e4ffd3a3c420f4d2dcb59.png

The whole thing feels like 10 years old linux. They should think about people who don't want their stuff to automatically go to the stupid My Documents folder cluster - they should thinkk about modularity; things like icon docks etc, multi-location explorer. The navigational side is way, way too oversimplified and here and there you see static useless shit that you just cannot remove. When do they realize that the arrow on top of shortcuts is completely useless ?! Where's the innovation ?! Where's the power ?

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
A few bugs in the Tech Preview so far, nothing major though.

It's rock solid enough to run Battlefield 4 perfectly. (and it might just be slightly smoother than 8.1U1, tho it could be the NVidia drivers)

dgingeri

Distinguished
It's still not feature complete, though. I wouldn't classify this as a beta. It's still an alpha build. beta is supposed to be feature complete. I've seen alpha build be near perfectly functioning, but when the other features were added, stability took a nose dive. (I work in a server software test lab, so I see a lot of this.)

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Ive been running the 'beta' and so far so good. Im sure the final release will be very stable.

I do like that it is as light as Windows 8.1 is without the junk interface. To me, its not 'better' than windows 7 in any huge way but now I can recommend people to buy new computers. The past year has been hard for me because people ask me what Laptop they should buy (otherwise I build them a desktop) and I cant find a single decent laptop offering Windows 7.

Now I can recommend a Windows 10 laptop (well soon enough anyways) or I can recommend a 8.1 laptop knowing that they will be getting Windows 10 for free (I think?).

I do know some people who are happy with Windows 8 and even more so with 8.1 but most are not. The people who know how to use Windows well (power users) hated it and then the people who dont know how to use windows well hated it because they had to switch to something that looked completely different. My mother has no idea the difference between Windows XP and Windows 10. She can jump into 10 and use it just like she has been using Windows for the past decade or more without issue. Give someone like that a Windows 8 machine and they dont know what to do.

Microsoft did not really 'innovate' this time (imo) but they did give us something nice to work with some nice changes.

What I could like to see is each virtual desktop have its own taskbar. For example, If I have AutoCad open in desktop 1 and I switch to desktop 2, I still have the Autodesk task on the taskbar. This is silly to me because I mine as well just minimize autodesk and open my second program all in the same virtual desktop. Linux has had real virtual desktops with separate 'task bars' for a while now. That is what I was hoping for.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont like the windows 10 aesthetics, i think tiles are stupid, i believe that xp and 7 have the best default ui aesthetics...

granted i can understand why some people like the 3.1 to 2000 look for their ui, but i prefer xp and 7 default... this looks like they took tiles and made them the ui... when i get a new computer ill most likely upgrade to win 7 pro unless there is some vital function that i can no longer do on a win 7 install.

Eh, more stuff I don't need for a larger OS size and more resource-hungry. I am not very fond of my start menu displaying "What's trending". Sure, I know this stuff can be changed but I'd rather them tell us about fixes to wireless driver support which was really bad in Windows 8.

NShukla

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
When the hell will Microsoft get it together and redesign their damn folder and system icons. Even that bloody recycle bin is ugly as hell. At least attempt to unify the aesthetics across the entire OS. I like the minimal flat metro approach. Apply it EVERYWHERE or don't do it at all!

OR at the very least make changing icons easy so I can do it myself. Even when I want to change icons, something in the code makes it incredibly difficult to permanently change icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.