Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Can I choose Metro start instead of traditional start menu ?
I hate the old one ... I think it's just a mistake, we looking forward to the future not back to past !

AntonM95

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Can I choose Metro start instead of traditional start menu ?
I hate the old one ... I think it's just a mistake, we looking forward to the future not back to past !

meme3212

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
the "Windows 10" name seems bad to me. They should have kept the "seven" brand name an call it "seven point something"(7.x) and improve on the very usable 7 interface. Since they do not care about Windows 7 anymore, a failure of the future product would have been in their advantage anyways. Windows 8 is the proof of what happens when you've got a million talented software engineers + tech support teams and a very retarded big boss.

I am running the preview.....personally they should have named it Windows 15.1 (7 + 8.1 = 15.1). It is a merger of Windows 7 and 8.1 - there are a few new features, but I don't see a whole lot of "game changers" in the OS....we have the start button back and the "modern" tiles are tied to the start menu.....snapping is improved....

luzanb

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Feeling really great to try Windows 10 Technical Preview for first time, thanks to this tut, i helped me to create bootable USB Drive for Windows 10 Tech Preview http://dothisbest.com/how-to/make-a-bootable-windows-10-technical-preview-usb-drive/

Agree, everything new I see is nothing I am going to pay money for. For one thing, it is probably moire resource-intensive which is never good. Why on earth would I want to see What's Trending when I open the Start menu? I do not like where they go with it, it is two operating systems in one rather than one unified OS.

choctawfootball

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I have a feeling that the "To 4K And Beyond" will be very buggy, but I think MS will be able to get it right eventually.

I am on Dell U2711 monitor 2560 X 1440 and I hate small text.

Dear MS,
I would appreciate if you could make the text look good on multiple monitors of different sizes/resolutions in multiple monitor setups...

choctawfootball

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I have a feeling that the "To 4K And Beyond" will be very buggy, but I think MS will be able to get it right eventually.

I am on Dell U2711 monitor 2560 X 1440 and I hate small text.

Dear MS,
I would appreciate if you could make the text look good on multiple monitors of different sizes/resolutions in multiple monitor setups...

dgingeri

Distinguished

It has been buggy, but they did pretty well with it in Windows 8.1. By this time, they should have it pretty well down.

BTW, many people don't know it, but the "Metro" visual scheme was part of the effort to properly scale apps' appearance with various resolutions and graphics capabilities, as well as make the apps platform independent, but many people rejected it just because it was different.

hunter08

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
{With this new version of Windows, Microsoft has two major objectives: correct the strategic mistakes of Windows 8, and migrate all current Windows users (be they on XP, Vista, 7 or 8/8.1) to Windows 10.} What do they mean by migrate? Sounds like they will allow users to just transfer over.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
If this is really going to run on Smartphones it is departure from the design change in graphics in Vista that precluded the smallest and largest panels.

I wouldn't mind upgrading from 7 to this. Let's face it...as good as 7 is, it's still essentially the same basic interface layout design as Win95. It would be nice to have a slicker new interface more in line with a hybrid or bridge between tablets and desktops. Win8 just went too drastically far to the tablet side and all but eliminated anything remotely recognizable as a desktop interface. With that said, I'll likely hold off until I see gaming and application benchmark performance comparisons with 7 before making the final decision.

Nobody likes sudden change, especially we of the PC Master Race. But MS didn't care to listen to the people and we the people rebelled. We will be having mice and keyboard peripherals for PCs for many, many years to come (decades perhaps). I remember reading an article in PC Magazine in the late 90s that stated the days of mice and keyboards were numbered with voice recognition and touch screen technology coming. Yep...here we are 15+ years later, still typing on keyboards and moving a mouse around. Just like in the 80s when so-called "visionaries" said offices would eventually be paperless with computers. Hah!

dgingeri

Distinguished

You're obviously looking for Windows 8.1. It has many of the functions of the classic start menu in the right click functionality of the star button.

Mr Steenky

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
It's my understanding that they're skipping the Windows 9 title to avoid the risk of old code causing issues. For example... Install this outdated driver where version = 'Windows9*'
9* could refer to 95 or 98.
Going right to 10 avoids this issue.

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
People hating on something thats in the early stages, start talking more about it once the customer preview is available, tech preview is feedback, suggestions, things to improve, etc

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Yet one thing they still did not Disclose if they will very much reveal more about the "Skin Styles" such as including Windows Classic and XP Style, that is still something they did not disclose yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.