Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The reason for skipping windows 9 is because of old lazy programmers... If start with (windows 9) was a old way to refer to windows 98. drivers, major programs, ect... so you can imagen the hell of incompatibility that would happen...

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
What I don't understand is why after all this time, they have not made the updater routines check if the computer is idle like a screensaver before they fricken rudely interrupt what people are doing on their computer!!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I hope the new start menu is highly customizable and will let us see the whole expanded list of programs to the right, like XP/Classic Shell. If not, oh well, there's always Classic Shell :)

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
While Win10 might be a functional refinement of Win8, it still lacks the cosmetic refinement that previous windows versions had, excluding Win8.

BorgOvermind

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Lets remember that the main 2 reasons people went from XP to Vista were DirectX and mandatory notebook Vista-incorporated policy. Then 7 (actually 6.1) came as a savior from the Vista disaster.
Since latest DX works fine on 7, most users remained on 7. This is a statistically verifiable fact.

The so-called new features are rarely used by the power users.
Main thing we get with each version is more tens of dozens of files lots of each will probably never be used in many systems.

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Lets hope they don't pull the same crap they did with Win8 Beta, where it started with the start menu and then it vanished with the the final release in favor of the tiles. That'd probably be the best way to bankrupt the Windows business unit.

Any word on if this version is better enhanced for mulicore processors? I know 8 brought some improvements over 7 but I'm talking true multicore optimaztion of the scheduler and whatever else can be worked around cores.

I have the technical preview installed - and it isn't a tremendous performance boost. They have done some nice things like working with the SNAP logic for windows - moving Windows 8 apps to desktop apps, the start button is back....

The one big thing I really like - they finally are optimizing Windows for multiple monitors - the task bar can be applied to all monitors. I would like to see some optimization there - examples would be that when you click an icon on the taskbar, it launches on that monitor (vs. last monitor launched on). The icons also show the active windows for all monitors instead of just the ones for that monitor....

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Until the full desktop with video returns a la Win 7 and Vista and when MS stop collecting personal data is when I'll buy another Win OS. If it doesn't happen then its a MAC for me once my win 7 becomes unusable.

ha, like apple isnt collecting data?

There are big differences in generic data collecting and personal data collection. Most companies that compile these databases of information are doing so anonymously - meaning that you visiting Tom's Hardware right now isn't tied specifically to you as the user (specifically your real name, address, phone number, email address, etc....) - but to a number (i.e. user 102068321). The information collected is to determine how these individuals are utilizing the computer - do they play games, surf the web, use microsoft office, etc.....

The end result is they optimize the operating system to the majority of the uses of the computer (i.e. if everyone spent 8-10 hours a day on Tom's Hardware, they might optimize connectivity to Tom's Hardware).

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Dude, I'm not sure if you're aware.
Mac OS also collects personal data and you know that right?
Seriously though, they ALL collect personal data.
That's one of the ways they update their program.
The other being from reviews!

Jeb2402

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Maybe Microsoft should revert to word or alphabetic suffixes à la XP, Vista, etc. I'll suggest a few: Windows Cleanup, Windows Unbroken, Windows Replacement, Windows Putting-pieces-back-together.

TheMetro Life

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
Great Article !!
Thanks for sharing...
You can visit this more information on Windows 10 and its features , visit this :
http://www.themetrolife.com/technology/sony-xperia-z3-compact-reviews-features-specifications/
For all updates on samsung gadgets , visit : http://www.samsungfreak.com/

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I'd drop down a grand in a heartbeat for a Win10 (x86, not some ARM version) smartphone/phablet with usb 3.1 and HDMI. I don't care if it's huge, i'll just carry around a European satchel :p
ARM is just much less power hungry than x86 today, you are going to see all phones using ARM forever.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Lets remember that the main 2 reasons people went from XP to Vista were DirectX and mandatory notebook Vista-incorporated policy. Then 7 (actually 6.1) came as a savior from the Vista disaster.
Since latest DX works fine on 7, most users remained on 7. This is a statistically verifiable fact.

The so-called new features are rarely used by the power users.
Main thing we get with each version is more tens of dozens of files lots of each will probably never be used in many systems.
Let us also remember that the "Vista Disaster" was not such a disaster once the device makers got off their asses and make DRIVERS for their devices. The whole "Vista Disaster" was due to device makers saying "Eh.... Vista is never coming out!" and they got blindsided by Vista actually coming out.

RickTacular

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I still think that MS should leave the Start Button/Menu alone and allow Live Titles to be placed alongside Icons on the Desktop. Icons and Live Tiles, living together in harmony. What a wonderful world that would be...

They completely took everything good about windows 8 and windows 7(and windows vista i guess since windows 7 took some from it) and combined them. I highly suggest windows 7 users upgrade to 10 just because of the insane boot times, less os bloating, softer sharper edges, etc.

rtoledo2002

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Does anyone know if Media Center as it exists in Windows 7 be available in 10? I have 8 mchines in my house using it, and will upgrade ONLY if that is available.

rtoledo2002

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Does anyone know if Media Center as it exists in Windows 7 be available in 10? I have 8 mchines in my house using it, and will upgrade ONLY if that is available.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think its the boring stuff that makes an OS good. The main gripe I had with Windows 8 is that its 2 separate environments. Unifying the platforms better and giving better ARM support is a step in the right direction which will make the entire Microsoft ecosystem more usable.
I think there still needs to be some work done on the UI. I want to reduce things to as little clicks as possible, and I don't think this does that without Cortana. With Cortana, I don't find a use for the start menu anymore. I can simply say "Cortana, open my email." Which is only a little longer than it would take me to click on the button pinned to my taskbar. For something that isn't in my taskbar it would be a bit faster.

evtehbaus28

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
I was hoping this would be more like windows 7. I can't say I'm going to switch, win7 just seems like the best one to me, I'm sticking with it to the end.

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I heard the reason they skipped nine was because they had a lot of code that was like this:

if (os.version.startswith('9') { //do stuff }

This was code written to handle specific events in windows 95 and 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.