Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billzegun1

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I don't want it with cortana otherwise I would have to upgrade in a few years or she'll go crazy. dem ai with their limited lifespan and all

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I believe that there would be a way to disable Cortana if you don't want her activated. Kind of like how you can turn Siri off if you really don't want her.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Agree, everything new I see is nothing I am going to pay money for. For one thing, it is probably moire resource-intensive which is never good. Why on earth would I want to see What's Trending when I open the Start menu? I do not like where they go with it, it is two operating systems in one rather than one unified OS.
Probably might be shoulda.... the fact is that since Vista, each iteration of the OS has gotten lighter on resources than the iteration before it.

Dang I hope Alt+Tab can be just used for switching between open windows. I hate desktop switching and use Alt+Tab all the time.

They also really need to let people access Onedrive without having to login under a Microsoft account. This is really disruptive for someone whom need to login to multiple Onedrives or businesses that need one Onedrive for all employees.

Arkive

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
I am using Windows 10 right now. There are obviously bugs which is to be expected, but it isn't that impressive. You can achieve the same thing but better with dexpot and classic start. The new start menu has 0 customization options unless you want those live tiles. Also the virtual desktops is very sub-par compared to free solutions that have existed. When you switch between spaces, your task bar remains the same, as does your wallpaper with no options to change this. I basically turns it into a glorified program which just remembers which windows you would like maximized.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Pretty interesting. I want to try out Windows 10 also.

Is there a specific website you downloaded this from? Or is it exclusive to developers only?

logainofhades

Titan

Better go Linux instead.

Quad Damage I

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Word on the street from the developers is that the move to Windows 10, versus 9, is rooted in a software development issue, not so much a marketing ploy.

Code similar to this exists in tens of thousands of applications.
"IF OS = 'Windows 95" then...
"IF OS = 'Windows 98" then...
"IF OS = "Windows 9" then...

You can see where code that doesn't parse these strings fully and properly could be a big deal.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

That is what the browser application is for. Bottom line, if you are a corporation who wants to have everyone use one OneDrive? Stick with the browser for that purpose.

cptmold

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
The return of the Start Menu means I'm no longer turning my computer into a phone without a touch screen, that's a plus.

Toddskins

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
What innovation? What new must-have program? What new killer feature?

Zilch.

How many times can you rewrite the same program? MS does it like, forever, and people are stupid enough to keep buying it. When your old Word Processor program allowed you to do all the things to type a document, why screw with people by moving everything around so they become lost? But that's what MS does.

Same thing with Networking commands. We know where they are in Windows 7 and all OS prior, but then another "new OS" is thrown at the market, and the commands are buried somewhere for people to go on an Easter Egg hunt for. MS knows very little about productivity.

It's like the company's Game programmers and Sales/Marketing people own and run Microsoft. The reason the company keeps making profits each year is due to a really, very stupid society.

jonb2501

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Windows 7 was for most of us, the gold standard in Windows usability, stability, and a great user interface.
Windows 8.x is/was actually better in resource management and very stable, but it hung it's biggest constituency (desktop users) out to dry.
Windows 10, looks like it attempts to fix the 'bridge too far' mind set that brought us Windows 8, so that's good, but I'll have to wait for the release version.
Give people the choice of interface, that's what MS fumbled.
I'm a mac user most of the time, and there's a button on the dock that will let you make your desktop look like the home screen on an iPad. Do I want that ? Nope. But if I want it, I can have it.
And the last version of the Mac OS was a free download, and this next one will be too.
So, if Apple can give it's OS away AND give you a choice of which user interface to use, then Microsoft, who will charge for Windows 10, should be able to let you decide whether you wan to use the Modern UI, or the desktop. Apparently you can do that in Win 10, but, MS, you could have save everyone a lot of frustration and yourselves, a lot of lost revenue if you gave your users what they want, choice.
And then you wouldn't have to do something hokey like skipping an entire version number (9) to put some distance between yourself and Win 8.x (aka Vista 2).

Toddskins

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Jonb2501, while your take on all this may seem to effect you positively, I think all these new OS just really miss the point. In Windows 7, we had all the goods, like you stated. And it's not really true that Windows 8 used resources better. There are a number of testing companies that work with software that I am inclined toward, which show Windows 8 to not be as good as 7, or just the same, or even if it some types of programs it is a little better, that is all meaningless when you look at all the horror MS keeps pushing.

What I wrote originally, still stands. MS marketing/sales hype people, seem to be running the show. They think something is "cool" and command the programmers to design what they think is cool, and that's what the new product becomes.

The company has lost innovation. They do not have genius programmers (not that there are very many of them around). There are no new apps that are anywhere to be seen.

Like I said, how many different ways do you need to design a toaster to toast bread? MS will keep changing the color, the shape, etc., and somewhere along the line forget what a toaster is supposed to do, originally. If it ain't broke....

Windows 8 with Start8 (a $4.99 3rd party program) works virtually the same as Windows 7. The theory of Windows 8 apps was a good one - the failure was not allow them to run in "desktop" mode. There is a major difference between phones, tablets, small touchscreen laptops and a desktop computer with 2, 3 or more monitors. The Metro interface (or as they call it now - Modern interface) works well on tablets, phones and small touchscreen laptops - but it does not work on multiple monitor displays at all....

Start8 fixed the start button issue - but you still have the problem with the applications being full screen or nothing. Having an apps store where the average person can write a program and put it in the store (think Android here - many innovative programmers have made outstanding products) is a good idea. Full screen on tablet, phone and small touchscreen laptop - two thumbs up. On my desktop? You just ruined it.

Windows 10 solves that problem. It should have been Windows 8.2 - as it fixed the crap they gave us in Windows 8.

anything that windows 8 offered over 7 in terms of efficiency, productivity, and resources is quickly cancelled out by the clumsy UI. 2 monitors and windows 7 is perfect, nothing more needed. All the next windows (windows 10) can offer over 7 is already mentioned, more customization of the UI, get a little creative MS. The look for people is hit or miss, all the things that are "good" about it (windows 10) are the things that make it more like windows 7 again.

Windows needs a re writing from scratch. its been optimized as far as it can go. we have computers with 4-8 cores now, it would be nice to see an OS that is truly designed around this fact. the same Windows is still being re worked since XP.

MondoTV

Reputable
May 17, 2014
MS still using drive letters? Seriously? Yes I know you can mount folders but drive letters make no sense in todays world. Let's just let each drive have a unique name or number...

jonb2501

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

jonb2501

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Todddskins, we could debate the merits of win 7 vs win 8 and resource management, but at the end of the day, 8 is what they want to get away from and 10 is what MS wants people to want. They're going to hand services off it and co-opt people into signing up. If a service has value and is reasonably priced, people will look at it. Win 7, as much as people like it, is soon to be two OS versions behind. If MS gives people the functionality they were used to, you'll see the response in the adoption rate.

densolis

Reputable
May 9, 2014
If they want all the user to migrate to 10, maybe they will supply an easy migration path from XP, Vista, 7, and 8 to 10. The XP to 7 easy tranfer worked great. But there was no XP to 8 Easy Transfer. And the 7 to 8 had to be done by a external disk, why not over the network like XP to 7?

wowcorny

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
they skipped windows 9 because there are existing codes in programs and applications that will recognize such as windows 95 or 98 thus we now have windows 10

seriously dude, this has been a thousand times already in this very thread alone.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
looks like they brought Games Explorer back to the front. Good thing, was a pain to find the link in Win8. like the idea much better of removing the metro screen and tying it to the start menu. think this is a good improvement though it's taken me a year to finally get my metro screen the way i like. hopefully it will upgrade and take it to the start menu with the same format.

Status
Not open for further replies.