Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Win 10 technical preview is stable and solid. 2 laptops (toshiba acer) and a built system installed. Only problem I had was with ms's own egernomic keyboard drivers. I cant wait. It even had drivers for a nic that 8 didn't and I had the card since b4 7.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
In reference to the line about feeling comfortable with seeing l screenshots of tile-less start menus. Well the tiles are only there is you install them. If you don't their won't be alot. There are some that come by default but not many.

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Looks a lot better, but I hate that they seem to be using the Ribbons tool bars instead of the normal windows tool bars. I hate that wide waste of space / clutter. They are overdoing it I think, need to keep it simple and closer to a blend between 7 and XP desktop styles. Stuff is getting more spread out too, instead of all in one place. You have to go from one menu to another for every little thing.

@ephebus calm down and stop down voting everyone you dont agree with.Not everyone has that power so use the downvote/upvote on the comments that deserve it.

Edit: I orignally put not everyone had that power, suddlenly i was confused and edited that out thinking something else.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

You guys can down vote? Any time I press the down vote button it says that I don't have the privilege to do that. Something weird like that. Haha.

I have not even down voted anyone on this website at all.

UPDATE

It says that I do not have the required permission to do that.

G

Well, i personally have mixed feelings for this OS. I have to say, it looks like a definite improvement over windows 8. Tha being said, it looks like another modernization attempt by Microsoft. I am not saying that they are the only ones to do it; Adobe Photoshop is a fine example. But for a major OS, they really need to be SETTING the modern look rather then following it. For the asthetics themselves, it needs more contrast. A slightly opaque look, as seen in Windows 7 would be nice for the taskbar and application windows. I am interested to see how it turns out, might be worth my time. But Microsft had better get with it FAST, because after seeing 8, I am seriously considering going Linux on my next rig.

Wo Ow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Another Microsoft gimmick to sell us 1/2 completed OS improvement over 8.1 rewraps with some add-on suppose to have in window8. We've been treated by Microsoft like bunch of stupids money tree shaker for generations. I think time matured for us to stick to old Windows OS in old PC or move on to do everything with a cheap chromeOS laptop and with an 5" android smart phone.

Postulator

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
"It allows you to connect automatically whenever a Wi-Fi hotspot is detected, and to authenticate and accept any required terms of use."

Is this saying that Sense will automatically accept terms of use for you? I know we're all used to ignoring long screeds of "contractual information", but that sounds just a little crazy (as does automatically connecting to any old WiFi network that you happen to be passing).

G

I agree, for performance anyway. Like i said in my earlier comment, the Windows 7 UI is nice. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". They obviously haven't heeded this sage advice. But yeah, better threading, graphics optimization, formatting of the hard drive, etc is all a damned good idea. I doubt it will ever come to pass, but I suppose we all can dream. (By the time Microsoft actually does anything they will have lost too much money to continue.)

It really is a pity, because they have such potential, but they don't know how to apply it. I would never use XP again, because it is terrible on many performance fronts, but it was SOLID dammit. Windows 8 was not, and I'm not sure about 10.

Windows XP was stable - Windows Vista took a bad rap early on due to changes in the operating system - some of the complaints against Vista were valid, but most of the complaints were changes - not instability.

Microsoft took the feedback from Vista, made the changes and Windows 7 fixed almost everything. It was stable, and the complaints were drawn down.

Windows 8 - the biggest complaint wasn't stability - it was lack of drivers for the early adopters (there were changes from Windows 7 in the same way that Vista was changed from XP) AND THE METRO INTERFACE. 99% of the complaints were the metro interface. No one liked it on their desktop.

I was never able to get Vista to a completely stable desktop - there were always issues. Windows 8.1 is running great on my desktop now (I am using Start8 - which was a game changer) and I have Windows 10 preview on my 2nd computer. Both are stable.

The only complaints with Windows 10 I have are a few missing drivers or drivers that need an update (duh.....the latest drivers are for Windows 8.1.....)

Nugget712

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I think they're calling it 10 instead of 9 because of software conflicts for old programs that ran in Win 95, 98. I read somewhere it looks it up as win 9x, and it makes sense to me.
I just hate the fact that I just bought Win 8 and am starting to get used to it, slowly.

G

Very true

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Wow, I'm impressed! I have hated the looks of Windows 8 so much that I have never even used it. It just feels too much like a tablet to really make me want to use it on a desktop. However, Windows 10 looks so much better.

I wish they had made Windows 10 first (although it probably wouldn't have been called that) and then released Windows 8 for tablets and touchbooks (is that a word? Spell-check says no, LOL).

Running a tablet or phone - the "metro" or "modern" interface makes sense. Arguably on a small touchscreen laptop, it makes sense (think of the Microsoft Surface). But once you plug in a real keyboard and mouse, the interface sucks....especially on multiple monitor desktops where productivity is your main goal.

Start8 put Windows 8 where it should have been - Windows 10 has merged the best features of Start8 and Windows 8 - plus added a few more. Windows 8 has been given a bad rap by most because no one has tried Start8 (or classic shell or the other 3rd party plugins to bring back the start menu).

if this is truly the case they better not expect us to pay up again for such meager "enhancements". merging an OS with a 3rd party tool so it can more resemble the previous OS, makes sense. I haven't tried windows 10 yet but so far im not really excited, unless its free. then ill embrace with open arms.

dhornbrook

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Really they are screwing everything up since the MS-Dos. Why? For those of us who had computers back than and have grown and upgraded thru the times, knows that Microsoft best versions was the odd numbers. For the most part. They seemed to try something new or drastic on the "Even" versions and work out the problems and or major complaints and bam! you have the odd versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.