Windows 10: The Major New Features, In Pictures

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

We had 64 bit hardware way before 64 bit APPLICATIONS. The hardware doesn't drive the technology for the OS the applications do. 64 bit Os's only see application performance increases with 64 bit software. 32 bit software will run in 64 bit but perform better in a 32 bit OS. Also 16 bit apps won't run in a 64 bit OS at all and that why XP mode was an option in Windows 7. It's application technologies that drive the OS technologies. That's even true for touch technology. It's sort of like the TV industry selling 3D TV's when no cable or satelite companies broadcasts 3D channels.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

That's fine. I already know they'll keep some things proprietary to the latest OS. It's part of a business model. I hope they realize what a dying market the OS is pretty soon. They reduce the price significantly (my thoughts are $50 or less (as little as FREEEEEEE) as they're making a big push for the "windows store". With the changes I hope they're able to evolve their business around the notion that the OS shouldn't be their bread winner, but it should be a method of getting their customers involved in the windows sphere. Much like how Apple pushed MACs to schools back in the day.

The rumor is later iterations for windows will be primarily updates and will no longer be sold, I believe this would be a pretty smart move. Hopefully they'll eventually start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.