[SOLVED] Windows 10 thinks Ctrl and \/ key are being pressed even when the keyboard is unplugged.

Apartment_Security

Honorable
Oct 13, 2016
This has been the bane of my PC for the last year. I went through se\/eral keyboards and reformatted, reinstalled dri\/ers, scoured the internet and my settings and nothing has fixed it. Windows 10 Home for some reason thinks my Ctrl and \/ key are always been pressed, confirmed by the on screen keyboard. The only way I get around this is by using KeyTweaker and disabling the left Ctrl and the \/ key entirely, which means I can't type \/, I use "\" and "/" put together. Before I was able to install KeyTweaker I would ha\/ to keep restarting my PC until I got enough time/fast enough to download the program and disable to keys before they started acting up. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. At this point I am about ready to throw my entire rig in the dumpster and start 100% fresh, but as you know that costs money. Has anyone got any idea why the keys are being pressed by the software??

Solution
This has been the bane of my PC for the last year. I went through se\/eral keyboards and reformatted, reinstalled dri\/ers, scoured the internet and my settings and nothing has fixed it. Windows 10 Home for some reason thinks my Ctrl and \/ key are always been pressed, confirmed by the on screen keyboard. The only way I get around this is by using KeyTweaker and disabling the left Ctrl and the \/ key entirely, which means I can't type \/, I use "\" and "/" put together. Before I was able to install KeyTweaker I would ha\/ to keep restarting my PC until I got enough time/fast enough to download the program and disable to keys before they started acting up. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. At this point I am about ready to...

Ralston18

Titan
Look in "WIN + I" > Ease of Access > Keyboard.

Likewise check any installed games or apps with customized/configurable key presses.

= = = =

Perhaps a corrupted file(s).

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

If nothing is found or fixed then look in Task Manager > Startup for some unknown/unrecognized app or utility that is being launched at startup.

Google, if necessary, to learn what the app is and what it may be doing.

Disable to determine if the problem ends. Note: only disable on thing at a time and again be sure about what you are disabling. Do not start just randomly disabling startup launches.

This has been the bane of my PC for the last year. I went through se\/eral keyboards and reformatted, reinstalled dri\/ers, scoured the internet and my settings and nothing has fixed it. Windows 10 Home for some reason thinks my Ctrl and \/ key are always been pressed, confirmed by the on screen keyboard. The only way I get around this is by using KeyTweaker and disabling the left Ctrl and the \/ key entirely, which means I can't type \/, I use "\" and "/" put together. Before I was able to install KeyTweaker I would ha\/ to keep restarting my PC until I got enough time/fast enough to download the program and disable to keys before they started acting up. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. At this point I am about ready to throw my entire rig in the dumpster and start 100% fresh, but as you know that costs money. Has anyone got any idea why the keys are being pressed by the software??

This happens even after a new full clean Windows setup? There is really nothing in a clean setup that would cause this, and I have no idea why any USB issue would cause this. Are you using an official Microsoft setup disk? Does this happen soon as you boot the system with any keyboard after Windows is done installing or does it take a while as you load programs on it? Try a new mouse also? Does the system have any touch screen connected?

Solution