[SOLVED] Windows 10 tied to MS account, multiple purchases?

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I wasn't sure how to word this so let me explain. I have a PC I built 7 years ago, upgrading now, I have Windows 10 Pro on this one, but, I'm about to make a change to a new rig, once I get around to putting it together. Previously when I upgraded I didn't have to buy a new license because I wasn't channing much out, now I'm moving to a whole new system.

What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig? It just goes away? Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system? The old SSD is going to be wiped and used as a storage drive in the new rig as I have a m.2 nvme pci-4 for a fresh Windows install, which is sure to be faster than the old sata SSD.

Thanks in advance

Wolfshadw

Titan
What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig?
Then you'd have two licenses associated with your MS account.

Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system?
That's what associating your license to your MS account does. You can change whatever you want/need (to include motherboard/CPU) and when you install Windows, log in using your MS account.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: LetsPlayThisBro

Wolfshadw

Titan
What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig?
Then you'd have two licenses associated with your MS account.

Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system?
That's what associating your license to your MS account does. You can change whatever you want/need (to include motherboard/CPU) and when you install Windows, log in using your MS account.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: LetsPlayThisBro

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

-Wolf sends
Just to be clear then, just logging into my MS account means that I wouldn't have to register a new key even if I have it installed on two machines? Although I am going to wipe that old drive once I sort it out.

I'm only verifying it because I thought, or at least in previous versions it was tied to the mobo or CPU in some way. As I say I don't do this kind of thing every day so pardon my ignorance and need to be absolutely clear.

I thought I'd have to rebuy a key, but this is good news. Saving a few bucks for the next part of my upgrades will get me there quicker. :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY