[SOLVED] Windows 10 tied to MS account, multiple purchases?

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I wasn't sure how to word this so let me explain. I have a PC I built 7 years ago, upgrading now, I have Windows 10 Pro on this one, but, I'm about to make a change to a new rig, once I get around to putting it together. Previously when I upgraded I didn't have to buy a new license because I wasn't channing much out, now I'm moving to a whole new system.

What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig? It just goes away? Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system? The old SSD is going to be wiped and used as a storage drive in the new rig as I have a m.2 nvme pci-4 for a fresh Windows install, which is sure to be faster than the old sata SSD.

Thanks in advance

Solution
What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig?

Then you'd have two licenses associated with your MS account.

Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system?

That's what associating your license to your MS account does. You can change whatever you want/need (to include motherboard/CPU) and when you install Windows, log in using your MS account.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
What happens to the old license tied to my MS account if I buy a new key for the new rig?

Then you'd have two licenses associated with your MS account.

Or is there a way in which I can upgrade and keep my current license active on the new system?

That's what associating your license to your MS account does. You can change whatever you want/need (to include motherboard/CPU) and when you install Windows, log in using your MS account.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: LetsPlayThisBro
Solution

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

-Wolf sends

Just to be clear then, just logging into my MS account means that I wouldn't have to register a new key even if I have it installed on two machines? Although I am going to wipe that old drive once I sort it out.

I'm only verifying it because I thought, or at least in previous versions it was tied to the mobo or CPU in some way. As I say I don't do this kind of thing every day so pardon my ignorance and need to be absolutely clear.

I thought I'd have to rebuy a key, but this is good news. Saving a few bucks for the next part of my upgrades will get me there quicker. :)