Windows 10 to new SSD

AndersGjerde

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Hello, I currently have a 120GB ssd and a 2TB SSDH. I Just bought an 860 EVO since my current SSD is only 120GB.

Should I move windows 10 to the new SSD or should i just let it be on the old SSD? Is there a big difference? I also want to wipe the 120GB SSD and the SSHD because i have no important stufff on them but alot of crap that i want to get rid of, but not manually. So i might aswell just wipe them.

If i should just let windows be on the old SSD i can just use the "reset this pc" feature in windows, so that would be alot easier than reinstalling Windows onto the new SSD, since i dont really know how to install windows on a new SSD.

And also, when i first bought this PC, it came with Windows 8.1, but later i upgraded to Windows 10. If i use the "reset this pc" feature, do i go back to windows 8.1?

Thank you :)

Solution
How full is the current 120GB drive?
DO you plan on needing more that that soon?
What size is the new 860 EVO?

Forget the original "reset this PC" function.

Your best way forward is probably just a clean OS install on the new 860 EVO.
Then, reconnect the other drives and wipe them.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10
100% probability of working.

Or, you could clone from the current 120GB SSD to the 860 EVO.
95% probability of working.
And you'll probably have to manage the partition sizes after the process is complete.The clone process will probably make a "111GB" partition on the new drive, and leave the reset of it Unallocated. Which you have to manage.

Since you're going to wipe the old drives anyway, you...

USAFRet

Titan
How full is the current 120GB drive?
DO you plan on needing more that that soon?
What size is the new 860 EVO?

Forget the original "reset this PC" function.

Your best way forward is probably just a clean OS install on the new 860 EVO.
Then, reconnect the other drives and wipe them.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10
100% probability of working.

Or, you could clone from the current 120GB SSD to the 860 EVO.
95% probability of working.
And you'll probably have to manage the partition sizes after the process is complete.The clone process will probably make a "111GB" partition on the new drive, and leave the reset of it Unallocated. Which you have to manage.

Since you're going to wipe the old drives anyway, you may as well start with a clean install on the new SSD.

Solution

AndersGjerde

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I have like 20GB of space left on the 120gb drive. The EVO 860 is 500GB. Thank you for your answer. I will do a clean OS install on the new 860 EVO, and wipe the other drives after that.

I know this is probably a dumb question but how to i completely wipe a drive the right way?

USAFRet

Titan

After it is all installed and running on the new SSD, connect one of the old drives.
Open Disk Management, and delete ALL existing partitions. Leaving one large Unallocated space.
New Simple Volume, Reformat, give it a drive letter, and carry on.

Repeat with the other drive.