[SOLVED] Windows 10 transfer with new MOBO

Jon Bader

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi all! I currently have Windows 10 home edition with a digital license linked to my microsoft account. I'm upgrading my PC with a new MOBO, CPU and GPU. I'm wondering if I will be able to transfer my windows 10 with the new motherboard. Can anyone tell me what to expect during this process and if its doable?

From what I read I should be able to log in with my microsoft and activate the new device?

Solution
Yes I was planning on moving the drive with the OS installed. So prior to changing hardware I'll need to wipe the drive with the OS on it? or will that happen after?
There is a small possibility it will 'just work' in the new hardware.

If it fails, this is when you do a complete reinstall, deleting all existing partitions in the process.
A lot depends on the old and new hardware, and the differences.

Ancient Intel going to new Ryzen....almost certainly fails.
Recent Intel going to slightly newer Intel...might work.

There are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. it boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks or months.

IN cases like this, a clean install is strongly...

Jon Bader

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Yes I was planning on moving the drive with the OS installed. So prior to changing hardware I'll need to wipe the drive with the OS on it? or will that happen after?

USAFRet

Titan
There is a small possibility it will 'just work' in the new hardware.

If it fails, this is when you do a complete reinstall, deleting all existing partitions in the process.
A lot depends on the old and new hardware, and the differences.

Ancient Intel going to new Ryzen....almost certainly fails.
Recent Intel going to slightly newer Intel...might work.

There are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. it boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks or months.

IN cases like this, a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
Prepare for that full reinstall, be grateful if you don't need to.

Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
It is supposed to follow you Microsoft account. When you are installing Windows and it asks for your windows key, just click (I do not have a windows key) and follow the rest of the prompts. In theory your key will be activated after you connect to internet and you log into your Microsoft account.

I did this recently. I had an FX 6300, 970m Pro3, gt 710, and upgraded to 3rd gen Ryzen, x570 board, 1660ti.

I had previously upgraded my storage to a Crucial MX500. I had no issues with my storage. All I did was clone my HDD to my SSD and it worked fine. When I did the major upgrade all I did was change the hardware. I did not do a clean install. everything worked fine, just standard removal and update of drivers. As for the windows key, I did have to call Microsoft. I did all the troubleshooting I could, and windows prompted me with a phone number to call. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone to get them to activate my key again. Which was not so bothersome considering I have zero hardware left over from my original build.

Now I will say this. Since the major upgrade, I did perform a clean install, but for a different reason. I had a windows log in password set up, and I tried entering safe mode to troubleshoot (windows stuck on restart). I could not enter windows and found on the forums the only was to fix this issue was to do a clean install, which is what I was trying to avoid by going into safe mode.

With my current installation I am not using a log in, in-case I do need to enter safe mode in the future. The clean install removed any programs or drivers that were causing the (stuck on restart) issue to begin with. I installed by using the (I do not have a windows key) prompt. My hardware was recognized and my windows key activated automatally when I connected to the internet. I have had no issues since.