[SOLVED] Windows 10 UI selector constantly moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2021
My pc has had this issue for some time now, but its been mostly bearable. Its gotten really bad lately, so I need to fix it. Everything regarding Windows UI (start menu, settings, calculator) has the selector (like the thing that shows up when you use the arrow keys to select stuff) constantly moving, like the arrow keys are being held down. They are not, it does it even if all peripherals are unplugged. I can barely do anything, since I can't really open programs from the start menu since it constantly is selecting everything.

Here's an example of what it's doing: View: https://imgur.com/a/5ZuYZCz

Solution
time for clean boot and see if it happens then... and if not, slowly add programs back to startup and wait. Don't add them all at once. take time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try safe mode as suggested?

does it happen on the logon screen?
on the logon screen, click the power button on bottom right
while holding left shift, click restart button
this reloads you in windows recovery.
I would be surprised if the problem happens here
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it happens in safe mode, its strange.
if it doesn't, it might be a start up program to blame (or a driver)

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Jan 28, 2021
did you try safe mode as suggested?

does it happen on the logon screen?
on the logon screen, click the power button on bottom right
while holding left shift, click restart button
this reloads you in windows recovery.
I would be surprised if the problem happens here
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it happens in safe mode, its strange.
if it doesn't, it might be a start up program to blame (or a driver)

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
yeah, ill try this later when i get the chance

Jan 28, 2021
Do you still haven't tested safe mode (as suggested already multiple times) ?
I did test safe mode, and it didn't happen then, but I had also disabled "Program" that attempt, and it doesn't usually doesn't start immediately on restart. So I have no clue if safe mode was better or not. What I can say though, is that since I've been using my computer regularly with "Program" disabled I've been fine. It hasn't happened yet. I'll come back here though if it does.

Jan 28, 2021
If I was concerned about a keyboard logger I would have all my data backed up and I would format drive and reinstall windows
Why though? What they would've gotten from a keylogger is passwords and stuff, so that would be what I'd change once I got rid of it. You might've been talking about how to get rid of the keylogger though...

Something else I should mention that might be related is that there was an attempted login on my Twitch last night. Thankfully I have 2fa on, so they couldn't get in, but point is, someone got my password.

D

Deleted member 14196

If you don’t format and clean reinstall the keylogger will still be there logging your new passwords duh

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did test safe mode, and it didn't happen then, but I had also disabled "Program" that attempt, and it doesn't usually doesn't start immediately on restart. So I have no clue if safe mode was better or not. What I can say though, is that since I've been using my computer regularly with "Program" disabled I've been fine. It hasn't happened yet. I'll come back here though if it does.
if you not sure what Program is, run Autoruns - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns it lets you remove it from in there, but it will also show you what it is before you do anything, as it may not be anything sinister, could just be a left over from something you previously removed.

Jan 28, 2021
Jan 28, 2021
How sure are you that it’s not running? Teams is Microsoft. That is not a keylogger
Well yeah, its not a keylogger. But if it was I'd know it was off because I disabled it starting at startup, but also because I'm not having the glitch but I was when it was enabled :p

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

since it doesn't happen in safe mode, its either a driver or a start up program

Jan 28, 2021

since it doesn't happen in safe mode, its either a driver or a start up program
Well it still hasn't happened yet... so I think I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.