[SOLVED] Windows 10 - Unable to connect to 5Ghz networks

duncancmcleod

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys,

For the past few months I've been having trouble connecting to my 5Ghz network on my desktop running windows 10. This network works fine on every other device I've tried. I've tried multiple network cards, reinstalling drivers but I've found no solutions.
This is the only relevant error I could find in event viewer:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-O4BGBVQ\dunca SID (S-1-5-21-1930490546-2214265100-849112354-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Any ideas?

Solution
Late thought: on the current host computer - is only the wireless network adapter enabled? Wired adapter(s) should be disabled.

Neighbors, environment? Possibly interference.

Try different 5 GHz channels.

Try 2.4 GHz and channels.

Take a look at the wireless networks in your area: start by picking the frequency and/or channel that seems to be the least used.

duncancmcleod

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
desktop spec?

Thanks for the response. Here are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2060 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Network cards: Linksys WUSB6300 & TPLink Archer T4E V1

I originally purchased the Linksys because the TPLink was not connecting to the 5Ghz network. The Linksys worked for awhile but recently it's been having the same problem.

Ralston18

Titan
I have a WUSB6300 wireless network adapter.

Is the adapter plugged directly into a USB port on your computer?

Before your next boot up, feel the adapter.

Then as you work, browse, game etc. carefully check the adapter. Is it getting warm or even hot?

If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless network adapter out into "cooler air" and perhaps help improve reception and more importantly transmission.

However, if the adapter gets hot and remains hot then it is likely failing.

I have had two or three such adapters start causing connectivity problems and one common factor was they got quite warm and in one case, quite hot.

duncancmcleod

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
I have a WUSB6300 wireless network adapter.

Is the adapter plugged directly into a USB port on your computer?

Before your next boot up, feel the adapter.

Then as you work, browse, game etc. carefully check the adapter. Is it getting warm or even hot?

If so, try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless network adapter out into "cooler air" and perhaps help improve reception and more importantly transmission.

However, if the adapter gets hot and remains hot then it is likely failing.

I have had two or three such adapters start causing connectivity problems and one common factor was they got quite warm and in one case, quite hot.

I don't think it's the adapter. This problem has been happening on many different network cards.

duncancmcleod

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
Run the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Neither of these commands solved the issue.

Two more thing I think might be relevant:
1. I am able to connect to the 5Ghz network SOMETIMES. When I first boot up it usually works fine for awhile but eventually it stops working and I either have to restart or wait for it to connect again.

2. I recently installed the Surfshark VPN and the issue seems to happen more often when I am connected. However, the issue has been going on way before I ever installed this VPN.

Ralston18

Titan
Late thought: on the current host computer - is only the wireless network adapter enabled? Wired adapter(s) should be disabled.

Neighbors, environment? Possibly interference.

Try different 5 GHz channels.

Try 2.4 GHz and channels.

Take a look at the wireless networks in your area: start by picking the frequency and/or channel that seems to be the least used.

Solution