Build Advice Windows 10 unresponsive startup (new mini-itx built)

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hi I just finished my built about a week ago. Things seem to work fine however within this week, my boot up has always been problematic. During the bootup it would be unresponsive for at least a minute or so this is not normal as my OS is installed on a SSD and it worked fine a few days ago. Sometimes I have to perform a hard reset.
Things I have tried:

1.check disk both the ssd and hdd are ok (it should be just bought a week ago)
2. disabled fast-startup via the power options
none seemed to have solve it.
This may be because I installed poweriso but I disabled the software on startup tab still facing the same issue.
Specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Gold S 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it slow before or after the login screen?

Tried unplugging any extra USB devices apart from mouse/kb.. any extra external drives. Printers - it could be PC is waiting for something to respond at startup and waits. It doesn't wait forever and eventually times out.

Have you run the Asrock App shop? Its in the download listing for motherboard, it could be an old driver causing slowdown. App shop will confirm you have newest drivers.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H370M-ITXac/index.asp#Download

Does same thing happen in safe mode?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
On your splash screen hit the key corresponding to "boot options" and go in and set the SSD your OS is on as the first item in that boot order. Just for giggles, if it will let you, remove all other options. See what happens with that.

As a side note, you may consider running 'check disk' on that SSD. I have found that if one of those is going to fail aside from purely being used up (which I have never done) that they go early. Typically if something is wrong it happens as new or right after.

Last thing I would mention....if you have attempted an overclock you may have corrupted something in your OS. If the above check disk is ok, perhaps try a re-install. Keep in mind that you will have to restore your USB in the boot order for it to see it.

Let us know.

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
is it slow before or after the login screen?

Tried unplugging any extra USB devices apart from mouse/kb.. any extra external drives. Printers - it could be PC is waiting for something to respond at startup and waits. It doesn't wait forever and eventually times out.

Have you run the Asrock App shop? Its in the download listing for motherboard, it could be an old driver causing slowdown. App shop will confirm you have newest drivers.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H370M-ITXac/index.asp#Download

Does same thing happen in safe mode?
After the login screen. Tried using the appshop was able to update everything besides the intel lan driver. I used driver booster if that matters.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could still be a peripheral causing it, What peripherals are plugged in?

Did you use DB before or after the problem?

Try safe mode and see if it is any faster
from login screen, open the power menu in bottom right corner
while holding shift, click the restart button

this loads PC into windows repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If it is "normal" here, it could still be a device you plugging into the PC, or it might be a start up program. Safe mode only uses microsoft drivers

See if a clean boot makes any difference
while in safe mode, follow these instructions, make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't boot right
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
On your splash screen hit the key corresponding to "boot options" and go in and set the SSD your OS is on as the first item in that boot order. Just for giggles, if it will let you, remove all other options. See what happens with that.

As a side note, you may consider running 'check disk' on that SSD. I have found that if one of those is going to fail aside from purely being used up (which I have never done) that they go early. Typically if something is wrong it happens as new or right after.

Last thing I would mention....if you have attempted an overclock you may have corrupted something in your OS. If the above check disk is ok, perhaps try a re-install. Keep in mind that you will have to restore your USB in the boot order for it to see it.

Let us know.
Interestingly I don't see my Hdd as a boot option in bios (weird). Boot 1: windows boot option my ssd (C) and Boot 2 is also my ssd. I disabled boot option 2 don't know if it will make any difference though.

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
It could still be a peripheral causing it, What peripherals are plugged in?

Did you use DB before or after the problem?

Try safe mode and see if it is any faster
from login screen, open the power menu in bottom right corner
while holding shift, click the restart button

this loads PC into windows repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If it is "normal" here, it could still be a device you plugging into the PC, or it might be a start up program. Safe mode only uses microsoft drivers

See if a clean boot makes any difference
while in safe mode, follow these instructions, make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't boot right
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Used DB before with no problem. I think its probably a program I installed but any specific way to identify which program is culprit?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If safe mode is faster, I would set up a clean boot within it. That only allows windows programs to load at startup, and then you could slowly add startup programs back in to find the ones that is causing the slow down. Add a program, restart and see if it happens... sort of thing.

If safe mode isn't any faster, you can set up clean boot in normal desktop as well.

If hdd doesn't have windows on it, its not going to show in boot order

DB can and will install wrong drivers for hardware so it could have loaded something causing the slowdown. Figuring out what that might be could take some doing.

You can run driverview and set it (in options) to not show Microsoft drivers, that might give us a clue. Upload screenshot to image sharing website and show link here. - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Interestingly I don't see my Hdd as a boot option in bios (weird). Boot 1: windows boot option my ssd (C) and Boot 2 is also my ssd. I disabled boot option 2 don't know if it will make any difference though.

My reply was before you answered that the issue lies after login screen. The options I listed would be for a boot issue after post, before login.

As a side note, since your HDD doesn't have a boot sector that really shouldn't be an issue/showing there. In some BIOS it will show all drives and I have seen others that only show drives with a boot sector.

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
My reply was before you answered that the issue lies after login screen. The options I listed would be for a boot issue after post, before login.

As a side note, since your HDD doesn't have a boot sector that really shouldn't be an issue/showing there. In some BIOS it will show all drives and I have seen others that only show drives with a boot sector.
Should I re-enable the boot option 2 though? I have disabled it

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
I would put bios back to how it was, there might be a reason drive is shown twice. It can't be for safety though as if drive doesn't boot from 1st listing, its unlikely to work from second.
Tried restarting and booting while in safe mode about 10 times. No slowdowns at all so its all good in safe mode don't really know where to go from here should I permanently use clean boot?

Ing17

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
If safe mode is faster, I would set up a clean boot within it. That only allows windows programs to load at startup, and then you could slowly add startup programs back in to find the ones that is causing the slow down. Add a program, restart and see if it happens... sort of thing.

If safe mode isn't any faster, you can set up clean boot in normal desktop as well.

If hdd doesn't have windows on it, its not going to show in boot order

DB can and will install wrong drivers for hardware so it could have loaded something causing the slowdown. Figuring out what that might be could take some doing.

You can run driverview and set it (in options) to not show Microsoft drivers, that might give us a clue. Upload screenshot to image sharing website and show link here. - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
Found the culprit. It is my free avast anti-virus, can disabled the service so I uninstalled it completely via the avast uninstall utility. Guess I cant do much I need antivirus so I don't know I have reinstalled it. The weird thing is this only happen after the second reboot or the second shut down. After the first shutdown/reboot it would work fine but the second reboot or shutdown it would be unresponsive and slow I don't know whats with this pattern.