Question Windows 10 update 1903 has killed my desktop.

Jan 9, 2020
Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have been unable to install Update 1903 on my desktop PC. I have tried several times over the past few months. Each time I have tried, my PC gets stuck on a black screen for hours. Eventually, I have to turn off the PC (which cancels the update). As bad as this situation is, it has gotten worse over the past week.

My PC began losing video signal. It would be running fine, then the screen would go black. (I use a VIZIO TV for a monitor.) The PC would continue to run, but there would be no video output and no way to recover the video output. (I've tried Shift+B+Control+WindowKey about a million times.) After running with no video output for about 1 minute, I hear a startup beep. The video signal does not return.

At first, this was annoying because the video signal would cut out after a few hours. In the past week, it's down to about 2 minutes. Oddly enough, the PC will run for hours in Safe Mode. Hasn't shut down once in Safe Mode.

I've tried everything I can think of (and accomplish) as to hardware: repasting the CPU, repasting the GPU, moving around the RAM sticks, replacing the power supply. I don't have a spare GPU.

I'm reluctant to do yet another clean install of Windows 10. It would be my third clean install on the same PC in 4 1/2 years.

Windows 10 is the worst operating system I have ever used and I used Windows 8 for a while. I've had system breaking update issues almost annually since I bought this PC in 2015. My PC used Windows 10 as its first OS; it is not a Windows 8 upgrade.

Any idea how to fix my PC?

Jan 9, 2020
AMD fx-8320e CPU
MSi 760GM-P34 (FX) Motherboard
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 SSC GPU
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB RAM (x2)
Kingston 250GB SSD
2TB HDD
Rosewill Photon 650 Modular Power Supply
Windows 10
Test bench style case

I really cannot afford to get another graphics card right now.