Discussion Windows 10 update attempted to assassinate my system!

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
It seems that every time there is an update, I have all sorts of issues with my system afterwards: my network stops working to begin with, then I try to shut it down and restart. This results in a black screen with a blinking curser. Then I have no signal and more attempted restarts. Then after several attempts at restarting finally gets me into the BIOS. I save and exit and then I end up in safe mode, then it restarts several times and FINALLY boots up! I hate the updates!

The last update reset all my colors and fonts back to the default and it took a while to get things back where I wanted them.

Am I the only person who seems to have issue with the MS updates?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Am I the only person who seems to have issue with the MS updates?

No, or I wouldn't have answered the questions :)

But its impossible to tell how many people have problems and don't know they have them, or how many have none at all - and since people with working computers generally don't come in here and say its all working fine, it is hard to tell what the percentage of fails are.

Sine it was released in 2015, i have had 2 problems caused by an update. First was when i upgraded from win 7, and I should have just clean installed as upgrades often had odd problems, and the second is the last patch has messed with how my pc shuts down but not enough for me to worry about fixing it. It just slows the process down a little. Who cares when PC is being turned off anyway. Two bad version updates out of 10 so far, not a bad percentage.

Every persons pc is different, so many different hardware combos, its amazing so many work really

When was last time you clean installed? Its possible a refresh of the system might remove some of the reoccurring problems you have. Just a thought

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I spoke out in frustration and I guess I can understand that every possible hardware configuration in nearly infinite, but still you don't expect to return home in the evening to hours of frustration trying to get the thing to even boot up. A person has a reasonable expectation to sit down, check emails, surf the internet, and spend some time gaming. Not have an update that in theory is supposed to improve the software, not turn it into a thousand dollar brick.

I have considered a clean install but the thought of reinstalling drivers and software is a little daunting.....

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't argue with the first paragraph :)

Win 10 is better than other versions of Windows I have used. I reinstalled ME way more times than I have Win 10.
There are 3 different types of Update that come from Windows Update
  1. Version updates - every 6 months they release a new version of win 10, it may include new features or like the last 2, be mostly bug fixes. These are essentially new installs of win 10, when they are installed they replace the running version with almost all new files. Its like you clean installed win 10 again but you don't need to create users. They can break installs.
  2. Cumulative updates. Up until Win 10 every update for windows would be on the website and your PC would try to download it. This was a major problem for Win 7 as by end you had to install over 500 updates to be "up to date". So in win 10 they use cumulative updates, and batch all the updates into 1 package. At first everyone would download the entire file each month, even if many of the updates weren't for your PC. Now its smarter, it only grabs updates that are for your PC. Cumulative updates can also break things.
  3. Windows Defender but I only include this out of being complete. the Anti virus definitions are updated all the time.

1 & 2 actually combine. You only get Cumulative updates for the version you are on, and all Version updates include all the changes from previous versions. So at most, on a clean install, you only need about 5 updates from Microsoft. There are extras like drivers

Clean Install
The software part just takes pre planning and working out what you use so you can get it again on next install. also means you can make sure you don't miss anything. You will miss something but if you careful it will only be little things. I upgraded earlier this year and went from old PC to new without turning old one on. I am still finding things I need to install again, but only little things that have taken me a few months to notice.

Drivers is easier, if PC been made in last 5 years or so, Win 10 will have drivers for it or find drivers for it. Its not perfect, it helps to go check Motherboard makers website afterwards . Just don't use 3rd party driver updating software like Driver Booster as it can make things worse.
If you ever stuck, you can always ask on here.

You might even find features you didn't know existed, though really that only happened for me after the initial clean install, not on the next one.

Last edited: