Question Windows 10 Update fail 0xC1900101 - 0x30018

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
"The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation."

I've gone through the entire checklist here and nothing is working for me: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

1. My SSD has plenty of free space.
  2. Every Windows Update available has been installed, including the optional ones.
  3. I believe all my drivers are up-to-date. Hard to check every single one on a 9-year-old computer
  4. Everything is unplugged except keyboard and mouse.
  5. Device manager showed one storage controller with an error. A Google search suggested an issue with an old Alcohol 120% install, which I've long since uninstalled. So I uninstalled that controller via device manager but it keeps coming back when i restart. Maybe that's the problem?

• More on Alcohol 120%, there are still remnants on my computer but it no longer shows up in the "add/remove programs" panel. I believe that's how I uninstalled it previously, but in another Google search people have said to use the uninst.exe instead. But the uninstaller no longer works for me "Setup is unable to validate the installation." An Alcohol 120% forum post from 2007 said to manually delete it from regedit but the folders they pointed to don't exist in my registry. I can actually run the alcohol.exe file still in Program Files (x86) but I can't remove any thing. Should I just delete the whole folder?

1. Comodo and MBAM both uninstalled, Windows Firewall turned off.
  2. chkdsk came back clean.
  3. All non-Microsoft services disabled, clean boot everytime.
  4. I believe the Windows 7 version of dism.exe is sfc /scannow in command prompt and it showed no integrity issues.
I could use some more direction now. Also tried a Windows Setup thumb drive but it said it cannot upgrade and save my files and apps via thumb drive.
Here are my system specs https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wVwq5IghwbiK27INmqKIhO6vVBZ8OAyt

Lutfij

Titan
You posted this thread in the Windows 10 section, while the specs txt file you've linked shows it as Windows 7. Did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Are you on the latest BIOS for your Gateway motherboard?

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Not sure I understand the question about the installer. I'm upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. I downloaded MediaCreationTool1809 and MediaCreationTool1903. They're cosmetically different but both stall out with with same error code.

Truthfully I've been a little hesitant to mess around with my BIOS. Assuming that's my next step, there are a few options: am I looking for the Intel Chipset Driver, BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades), or BIOS (for device with Ivy Bridge & USB 3.0 Supported)? I'd appreciate any pro tips so I my computer won't go down in flames.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Speccy says my CPU uses Sandy Bridge technology so is it safe to assume that the "Ivy Bridge & USB 3.0 supported" BIOS is not what I need? If you can't tell, I'm terrified of bricking my motherboard.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I attempted the flash using the P11.A3 file but got an error "ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size" and command prompt closed immediately. I found this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/upgrade-bios-to-uefi.1661304/

My existing BIOS is P01.A3. Does that thread mean I can't update from P01.xx to P11.xx? And if I can't that means I'm stuck with Windows 7? And I put my PC's serial number into the Gateway website so why would they even offer that update if it isn't possible?

TRENDING THREADS