[SOLVED] Windows 10 update from 1809 to 1909

May 13, 2020
Hello all,

This is my second post here and this one is very frustrating now.
I have got to update my windows 10 from 1809 to 1909 and it was pending since months.
Finally I had got 32gb pendrive since I did not had enough space in my C drive.

so once it is downloaded 100% and when it restarts it is stuck at blue screen with below message -

working on updates 0%
Do not turn off your PC, This will take a while

Your PC will restart several times

So, I have been waiting hours and hours it’s still at 0% only. I had cancelled once and did it again now but same experience.

But when I cancelled the first time and turn to my current window it gave me an error 0x8000ffff stating that your windows could not be updated.

Right now also I am stuck at same screen showing 0% from hours.

So please help as soon as possible.

Solution
so what will be good amount of space to update windows to 1909?
I'm not sure there is a single definitive number. And it changes, depending the specific system properties and configuration.
I wouldn't do it with less than 50GB free space. Then again, I wouldn't let a drive get that full anyway.

Move some data off the C drive to other locations.
May 13, 2020
I don't think that this may be appropriate answer as there are so many options on the link that you shared.

I have around 8gb of free space and I have saving the upgrade files on different drive that has a space around 20gb.

I used Windows update assistant also but after downloading the updates it got stuck at 30% installation.

Now I am trying Windows10upgrade (Media Creation Tool or Windows 10 Setup Media) installer to see what happens.

May 13, 2020
Hello,

I already told I had 8gb of space in C drive. Furthermoe I am downloading the updates wither on my external drive or other disk drive. My hard disk is 1TB.

May 13, 2020
Now I have extended my C drive and it shows 27gb free. So now shall I try again installing the windows again after deleting the previous windows update cache?

USAFRet

Titan
8GB free space is absolutely not enough to do the semi-annuual Windows update.
27GB also might not be enough.

And 8GB (or 27GB) free on a 1TB drive? You need to move some data off to elsewhere. That little free space does have a performance impact.

May 13, 2020
So you mean this 27gb is also enough in my C drive to update windows? Forget about the performance.

To be more specific 27gb is free in drive c and if I sum up of total I have around 70-80gb free including all the other drives.

USAFRet

Titan
so what will be good amount of space to update windows to 1909?
I'm not sure there is a single definitive number. And it changes, depending the specific system properties and configuration.
I wouldn't do it with less than 50GB free space. Then again, I wouldn't let a drive get that full anyway.

Solution
May 13, 2020

So you mean 50gb in C drive should be empty?

May 13, 2020
Hurray !!
I did it finally !!

I had left the system overnight at verifying update 0%.
its 8am in the morning and I could see that everything was successful.

thanks to all of you 😊