Question Windows 10 update issue causing CPU throttle

Dec 17, 2022
I've had an issue with my CPU being throttled since the Windows update around mid January.

My PC is pretty new, built it mid December.

Everything worked fine until I updated my Windows. I noticed my CPU clock was being capped at 0.37ghz. After turning off thermal throttling in my bios settings it goes up to 0.78ghz.

Why do I think its a Windows update issue? Because everytime I uninstall the Windows update, everything goes back to normal. But every 2 weeks or so Windows somehow automatically updates itself despite me turning off auto updates. So I have to keep uninstalling.

Well now, there is a version of Windows I cant uninstall. I'm currently on KB5017308 (22H2) and KB5017022 (22H2).

I have tried uninstalling from control panel, using advanced start up and also WUSA in command prompt (admin) but they all say the update is required by Windows and so it can't be uninstalled.

Could there be a compatibility issue that I need to fix by updating drivers?

Im running:

i5-12600k
B660 Aorus Master DDR4 (F21 BIOS ver.)
Corsair Vengeance 16x2GB
Corsair Rm850
RTX3080 MSI GAMING TRIO Z LHR

All my temps are normal (especially since I am always on idle since I cant do anything with 0.78ghz CPU clock speeds). Even at high load my temps arent anything concerning. My power plans have been checked to make sure my power is never throttled. Even at high load my CPU is stuck at 0.78ghz. ThrottleStop also doesn't work (BD-PROCHOT can't be turned off for my mobo)

Something in this Windows update is making my mobo thermal sensor act up that causes my CPU to think its overheating and throttle itself.

Any help is appreciated!

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I've had an issue with my CPU being throttled since the Windows update around mid January.

My PC is pretty new, built it mid December.

Everything worked fine until I updated my Windows. I noticed my CPU clock was being capped at 0.37ghz. After turning off thermal throttling in my bios settings it goes up to 0.78ghz.

Why do I think its a Windows update issue? Because everytime I uninstall the Windows update, everything goes back to normal. But every 2 weeks or so Windows somehow automatically updates itself despite me turning off auto updates. So I have to keep uninstalling.

Well now, there is a version of Windows I cant uninstall. I'm currently on KB5017308 (22H2) and KB5017022 (22H2).

I have tried uninstalling from control panel, using advanced start up and also WUSA in command prompt (admin) but they all say the update is required by Windows and so it can't be uninstalled.

Could there be a compatibility issue that I need to fix by updating drivers?

Im running:

i5-12600k
B660 Aorus Master DDR4 (F21 BIOS ver.)
Corsair Vengeance 16x2GB
Corsair Rm850
RTX3080 MSI GAMING TRIO Z LHR

All my temps are normal (especially since I am always on idle since I cant do anything with 0.78ghz CPU clock speeds). Even at high load my temps arent anything concerning. My power plans have been checked to make sure my power is never throttled. Even at high load my CPU is stuck at 0.78ghz. ThrottleStop also doesn't work (BD-PROCHOT can't be turned off for my mobo)

Something in this Windows update is making my mobo thermal sensor act up that causes my CPU to think its overheating and throttle itself.

Any help is appreciated!
Have you checked the Temps - u would like to see the temps that are forcing the cpu restrict itself to 0.37... also what what cooler r u usingg?, Check windows power plan POWER PLAN IMAGE, because i am running Win 10 on my intel laptop with latest update - and tbh yes it makes the reporting really wonky, CPU is 100 degrees and its still boosting 3.4GHz and suddenly goes to 0.4 and then back to 3.4, same with gpu temps - they keep rising till they hit throttle (i am running on the lowest GPU frequency possible) so its probably a Win 10 issue - but normally it only happens after u put the device in sleep and reawaken it, just restart it when problem happens and it goes away in my case, urs might be different, attach ur max temps and what cooler u r using, also check ur power plan

Dec 17, 2022
I don't have access to my PC currently as I'm at work but usually when using HWMONITOR to check my temps, my CPU is under 30°C at idle (ranges from 25~29). And as mentioned, my PC is basically always in idle since I can't do anything with it currently.

I have also checked my power plan, everything is set to 100% so that there is no throttling even if temps are high.

Edit: I'm using a NZXT Z63 Kraken