[SOLVED] Windows 10 update messed up boot drive, I will literally venmo someone 10 bucks if they give me a working solution ?

Dec 25, 2021
Hi guys! I went to boot up my laptop this morning and it would not boot up! I went onto the Startup repair screen and wanted to just fix my version of windows, it asked me for my password and it told me it was wrong. I tried every password on both my laptop and external keyboard and made sure it was the right password by unmasking what I had entered. After multiple attempts and formatting my second SSD on my laptop and deleting partitions it eventually installed.

The problem is that I wanted my Operating system to be on my drive that still has Windows installed on it. My os is currently running on the SSD that came with my laptop, I added another additional SSD to my laptop that was faster and bigger and converted it to be my bootdrive by using a cloning tool. That worked for a few months but this morning as I said it stopped working.

My question is what would be the process of going back to my original SSD or repairing it so it can launch? I have tried so many different things to get it to work, I tried changing it in the bios for the boot order but the only option that shows up for the boot is my Samsung SSD, My toshiba ssd does not appear. However when I start up my pc is it all running on my toshiba drive.

Could it be a problem with how I originally moved my data over? If someone can help me get it fixed I will literally venmo you 10 bucks this is a pain in the butt. Let me know if you guys have any questions and ill be glad to answer anything/show pictures to get this fixed thank you! Or should I just wipe all drives do a fresh install, would that be the easiest way?

Last edited:
Solution
Y
Hi guys! I went to boot up my laptop this morning and it would not boot up! I went onto the Startup repair screen and wanted to just fix my version of windows, it asked me for my password and it told me it was wrong. I tried every password on both my laptop and external keyboard and made sure it was the right password by unmasking what I had entered. After multiple attempts and formatting my second SSD on my laptop and deleting partitions it eventually installed.

The problem is that I wanted my Operating system to be on my drive that still has Windows installed on it. My os is currently running on the SSD that came with my laptop, I added another additional SSD to my laptop that was faster and bigger and converted it to...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

The problem is that I wanted my Operating system to be on my drive that still has Windows installed on it. My os is currently running on the SSD that came with my laptop, I added another additional SSD to my laptop that was faster and bigger and converted it to be my bootdrive by using a cloning tool. That worked for a few months but this morning as I said it stopped working.

My question is what would be the process of going back to my original SSD or repairing it so it can launch? I have tried so many different things to get it to work, I tried changing it in the bios for the boot order but the only option that shows up for the boot is my Samsung SSD, My toshiba ssd does not appear. However when I start up my pc is it all running on my toshiba drive.

Could it be a problem with how I originally moved my data over? If someone can help me get it fixed I will literally venmo you 10 bucks this is a pain in the butt. Let me know if you guys have any questions and ill be glad to answer anything/show pictures to get this fixed thank you! Or should I just wipe all drives do a fresh install, would that be the easiest way?
Have you tried removing all the drives except for the one you plan to install Windows on? I’ve never cloned a drive before because of all the problems that I have heard can arise from it. Whenever you replace a drive, it’s best to do a fresh install of Windows by using a bootable USB drive. Also, always make sure to backup your files.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you leave all the data, incl the OS, on the original drive?

Y

Here are some suggestions on how to get Windows to recognize your password when that fails. https://www.4winkey.com/windows-tips/windows-10-will-not-accept-my-password-how-to-fix-it.html

As mentioned if all else fails do a clean install.

Solution
I was going with "My question is what would be the process of going back to my original SSD or repairing it so it can launch?" Where originally he could not boot his computer and when he tried using the start-up repair it wouldn't recognize his password.

Last edited: