Question Windows 10 Update scheduled a BIOS update on my ASUS laptop

Feb 16, 2021
I’ve updated my Windows 10 with Windows Update, then went to optional updates, and updated the drivers there also (there was an ASUSTeK Firmware update, which made me suspicious and I left it off). Then restarted laptop, and decided to update the ASUSTeK Firmware also. It asked for restart, and I restarted the laptop. Then at the very beginning it said something like “BIOS will be updated in 60 seconds” and there was Yes/No option. I chose No and the system booted into Windows again. Now there’s a “Restart required (Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device: System Firmware)” notification in the Windows notification area. I suppose that I’ll get the Yes/No option again if I restart/turn off and turn on my laptop again. Also, in Device Manager, there’s “System Firmware” entry with the exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle under Firmware.

I don’t want the BIOS to be updated. I want to somehow cancel the update.
My laptop is ASUS X509JA. I suppose it can be completely bricked with the update?
Is the update written on my SSD or on the BIOS itself? Will formatting/resetting my Windows 10 remove the scheduled update of BIOS?

Any experience?
Any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
why don't you want the bios to be updated?

If message pops up right away at start-up, it would seem the bios is half prepared already to install. I don't know if reinstalling windows would change that, it could mess it up and leave bios expecting a file it doesn't have.

Feb 16, 2021
why don't you want the bios to be updated?

If message pops up right away at start-up, it would seem the bios is half prepared already to install. I don't know if reinstalling windows would change that, it could mess it up and leave bios expecting a file it doesn't have.

Because it is an unnecessary risk. Everything was fine until now. Unfortunately I still went to Windows Update section and updated this.

There's a risk of bricking the laptop. I don't want to take it. I've also had other problems with my laptop, namely:

I've heard BIOS updates (especially via Windows update) is related to BIOS mode (UEFI/Legacy) so...

How can I know whether my BIOS is UEFI or Legacy?
I mean, in System Information in Windows it says "BIOS Mode: UEFI". But as far as I've noticed my BIOS is Legacy (the old, non-graphical interface, right?)

Or maybe my laptop has UEFI support, but the firmware is still old (Legacy) and that is why it says UEFI in System Information? And the update will upgrade it to UEFI?
Also, note that I've had problem with my Windows 10 installation. I have two Windows 10 installations now on different partitions, same SSD. I've installed the first Windows 10 with Rufus USB (Windows 10 not downloaded from official microsoft website) and I don't remember whether I've installed the USB as UEFI or Legacy. And I've installed the second Windows 10 with the USB media installation tool from Microsoft. And during the boot phase, it shows black screen for 30 seconds (with nothing on it) instead of the Windows Boot Manager and then it boots into the default OS installation (but it responds to keyboard input so if I press <enter> it boots into default OS installation right away).
Maybe I should've changed something while I was making the second installation USB, but I created it with the official Windows tool and it didn't give an option to choose Legacy/UEFI.

There're also many other factors here, whether Secure Boot is enabled, etc...

Can anyone confirm whether the Windows reinstall will remove the prompt at the start? Here's a picture from the prompt: http://kmpic.asus.com/images/2021/01/14/1145e2e9-bdcd-4e40-b300-dc5d8a3d9477.png (NOTE: I took this picture from the ASUS website, so I'm not sure whether it says "Easy Flash Utility will allow..." on my laptop.)