Question Windows 10 Update

biscuitduke

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Some background:

A week ago Win10 prompted me for a restart for an upgrade. Once my PC rebooted I was greeted with a black screen with a blinking underscore. I investigated and it turns out my UEFI partition was deleted. I ended up having to wipe my drive and reinstall Win10.

After reinstalling I tried to run the updates because the reinstalled version is v1511. Windows Update recognizes that there is an update sometimes. When it does, it downloads and 'prepares for install' and prompts me for a reboot.
Every time I reboot after installing updates, my PC freezes on the boot up screen with the Win10 logo and the spinning circle at the bottom of the screen. When I do a hard boot from here, the updates don't take effect.

When it doesn't recognize it I have to run the Media Creation Tool. The MCT seems like its installing, but when Win10 boots back up I'm still at the older version.

I've done just about everything I've seen on the web: all the Windows trouble shooting tools, disabling all my startup apps, disconnecting all me peripherals, even reinstalled windows a second time. This issue still persists; Windows updates are not installing on my PC.

Some more background:
I know I have a problem with some of my mobo socket pins because some of my RAM slots don't work. I even get a BSOD with memory related erros after booting from a complete shutdown which is probably related to that. Could this be a reason I'm having issues with Win10. I figured if it was I wouldn't have made it very far in the install process.

Any ideas, tips or tricks are welcome. Thanks in advance.

biscuitduke

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
If that was the case how come I've never experienced this issue before? This isn't the first time I've reinstalled windows and I've had no problem updating. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just looking for an explanation or other possible avenues before I dish down for a replacement. 2011-v3 motherboards are for some reason very expensive and I'd probably end up upgrading my CPU as well. Kinda trying to avoid that.

As a side question: Has anyone ever had any luck self-repairing the pins on the mobo socket?

USAFRet

Titan
As a side question: Has anyone ever had any luck self-repairing the pins on the mobo socket?
On an Intel board:

Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg
After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

biscuitduke

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
I'll have to give that a try when I have more light. Though I'm still concerned that I may go down this road and waste this time and possibly make things worse and it wont even fix the real issue as to why my Wi10 won't install the 1806 update when before it was working perfectly fine, even after reinstalling windows.

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Who knows if the new windoze 10 version update adds extra features that may use pins previously unused in this cpu?
Anyone think of that considering it was fine before the new version update but but now dirties it's pants like a great grandparent in a "waiting to die" care facility?
No idea myself, just asking as many seem far more up to date than me. Just logic has me wondering........

Last edited:
I'll have to give that a try when I have more light. Though I'm still concerned that I may go down this road and waste this time and possibly make things worse and it wont even fix the real issue as to why my Wi10 won't install the 1806 update when before it was working perfectly fine, even after reinstalling windows.

well if doing this does avoid you spending money on a new motherboard then it wouldn't be wasted time now would it lol

also depending on how old your PC is it may be tough to find a replacement motherboard for it

biscuitduke

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
So I took a look at my mobo and unfortunately I don't have a good camera, but you can make out which ones are the bad pins (bottom right two rows of pins, row of 4, second pin, row of 5, first pin) they look discolored more than bent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb4u3dbvymciixd/Photo May 24, 13 28 10.jpg?dl=0

And this is not a terribly old board, 2011-v3. But it would be cheaper to get a new AMD CPU and mobo for the cost of a new mobo, or get a used/refurbished one but i'm hesitant about that.

Last edited:

malik_42

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
Some background:

A week ago Win10 prompted me for a restart for an upgrade. Once my PC rebooted I was greeted with a black screen with a blinking underscore. I investigated and it turns out my UEFI partition was deleted. I ended up having to wipe my drive and reinstall Win10.

After reinstalling I tried to run the updates because the reinstalled version is v1511. Windows Update recognizes that there is an update sometimes. When it does, it downloads and 'prepares for install' and prompts me for a reboot.
Every time I reboot after installing updates, my PC freezes on the boot up screen with the Win10 logo and the spinning circle at the bottom of the screen. When I do a hard boot from here, the updates don't take effect.

When it doesn't recognize it I have to run the Media Creation Tool. The MCT seems like its installing, but when Win10 boots back up I'm still at the older version.

I've done just about everything I've seen on the web: all the Windows trouble shooting tools, disabling all my startup apps, disconnecting all me peripherals, even reinstalled windows a second time. This issue still persists; Windows updates are not installing on my PC.

Some more background:
I know I have a problem with some of my mobo socket pins because some of my RAM slots don't work. I even get a BSOD with memory related erros after booting from a complete shutdown which is probably related to that. Could this be a reason I'm having issues with Win10. I figured if it was I wouldn't have made it very far in the install process.

Any ideas, tips or tricks are welcome. Thanks in advance.
This is the similar problem that i faced for about 4-5 months before with my hp probook 450 g3.I was updating(window update) my laptop and then after restart it start giving me BSOd(Blue screen of death) and after that sometime it starts stucking at Hp logo and some time it turns on but after using for a while it gave me bsod and after some time it start giving me only black screen when i turned it on and than i met tech in my region,he do a lot of effort on it and made his best to repair it ,but unfortunately he said to me your laptop motherboard was not working at all,i hope your problem will not be this but again it was same event that happened to me...

malik_42

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
This is the similar problem that i faced for about 4-5 months before with my hp probook 450 g3.I was updating(window update) my laptop and than after restart it start giving me BSOd(Blue screen of death) and after that sometime it starts stucking at Hp logo and some time it turns on but after using for a while it gave me bsod and after some time it start giving me only black screen when i turned it on and than i met tech in my region,he do a lot of effort on it and made his best to repair it ,but unfortunately he said to me your laptop motherboard was not working at all,i hope your problem will not be this but again it was same event that happened to me...
and another thing first u need to check your graphic chip in some cases it is not working ,but there are also chances of your cpu and bios who may
not be working .By the way which type of errors are you getting on bsod ,they are different every time or not??Thank you!!