Question Windows 10 Updates

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Recently I received one of Microsoft forced updates. This screwed up my computer yet again. I could not print without signing up to Microsoft and getting an account. I then was told to register with one note. Thanks to this forum I was told that Microsoft had changed my printer driver default. Also, my devices were not registered.

I found my start-up had been scrapped only to be replaced with Microsoft online games. I have recently heard that there is an XML file associated with the start-up. If I could backup this file and reuse it that would be nice. Any ideas on this? TIA Desmond.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Your best bet would be to bite the bullet and do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10.

All of the things you describe are neither characteristic of a correctly running Windows 10 instance nor the typical result of any Windows Update.

It is not uncommon for a given Windows Update to eventually uncover some underlying corruption that's been lying fallow. You can spend your time trying to chase down what could be hundreds of little things or just start over again with what you know to be a clean and stable baseline install of the operating system.

Your machine has issues that are best addressed by starting from scratch.

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Well the problem with your argument is that someone on your forum disagreed. Stating that a lot of people had problems. My computer works fine on a Saturday night printing and connecting to devices. On closing down I am informed there is a pending update. I choose to update and shut down. and go to bed an Saturday morning, I switch on and windows completes the updates. My start menu has changed to showing Microsoft games, my mobile phone is not recognized when plugged in and I cant simply print.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
There are lots of people on lots of forums who claim there are "lots of problems" with each and every Windows feature, cumulative, and patch update that has ever been issued. With the very rarest of exceptions, it simply isn't so, period.

If one million Windows 10 users were to have an issue with a specific update, where "an issue" is defined as having the same exact result and/or error code, that's still a drop in the proverbial bucket of over 400 million (at the last estimate I could find) Windows 10 users.

I have been on various technical support forums for decades now, and it is a fact, an irrefutable fact, that Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic - Not Global.

I'm not here to argue, but to help. You are free to take, or ignore, my advice as you see fit. That is your right. I'm not about to change my opinion based on many years of experience because you're vexed (even justifiably vexed) and want to find someone or something to blame.

My standard "fix it" steps for major problems are, and always have been:
-----------------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.
----------------------

There's really nothing further I could add.