Windows 10 upgrade and a motherboard change

Alex511

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
So im currently going through the process of throwing together a new build and am currently working on a temporary motherboard, while the new mobo I ordered should arrive just before the free Windows 10 upgrade cutoff. I currently have OEM Win7 64-bit and I'm unsure of the steps I should take to ensure I can install my new motherboard along with Win10. Should I do the free upgrade first and then install the board? Would i loose my license doing that? Or would it be better to install the new board first and then do the upgrade? I just want to make sure the right way to do it in order to ensure I can have the full version of Windows 10 with my new board.

If anyone knows the proper way to do this I'd be very grateful for any advice :)

Solution
I have been able to transfer Windows 7 (an OEM copy no less) after motherboard swaps. The only difference is I had to use the automated system to be able to activate Windows 7.

What you can also do is upgrade to Windows 10 now and before you swap motherboards use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/) to make a bootable USB of the Windows 10 installer. Swap your motherboard, install Windows 10, and use your Windows 7 key to activate.

Alex511

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

But the problem is that I already have activated the Win7 license with this current motherboard, so wouldn't I have to repurchase Win7 if I installed the new motherboard first? I thought I read that in Win 10 it doesn't consider a motherboard swap as a violation of the license, but in Win7 it does. I dunno, might be wrong.

I have been able to transfer Windows 7 (an OEM copy no less) after motherboard swaps. The only difference is I had to use the automated system to be able to activate Windows 7.

What you can also do is upgrade to Windows 10 now and before you swap motherboards use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/) to make a bootable USB of the Windows 10 installer. Swap your motherboard, install Windows 10, and use your Windows 7 key to activate.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS