[SOLVED] Windows 10 upgrade from 7/8?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi everyone!

Right, to brass tacks. It's been a while since I had to purchase a copy of windows, but I remember that a while back you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you had a legal copy of 7/8/8.1. Is that still the case? I'm in need of a legitimate copy of Windows on the cheap so if that 'trick' still works I'll just pick up a copy of 7 or 8 on the cheap and then just upgrade?

Failing that, anyone have any suggestion on where to grab a cheap copy of 10?

Cheers!

Solution
Cheers for you reply!

I know that you can download and run Windows without a key, however I also know that many features are disabled for unactivated versions of Windows. I'm after the full, activated, no strings attached version if you know what I mean? Ha ha.
No, "many features" are NOT disabled.
I have a long running test of an Unactivated WIn 10 Pro, to test exactly this.

Installed in a VM on Dec 8, 2016, still running exactly as Day 1.
The sometimes appearing watermark at bottom right, and no customization of the desktop and taskbar.
That is it.

Everything else is exactly as an Activated install.

If you have a valid Win 7/8/8.1 license, you can probably use that on a new Win 10 install.
Of course, you can't continue to...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can download windows 10 from microsoft for free, install it without a code and run it un-activated until you can figure out a registration solution.

I do not know exactly if or how to upgrade these days but you can run 10 without a key cheaper than cheap, its free.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
you can download windows 10 from microsoft for free, install it without a code and run it un-activated until you can figure out a registration solution.

I do not know exactly if or how to upgrade these days but you can run 10 without a key cheaper than cheap, its free.
Cheers for you reply!

I know that you can download and run Windows without a key, however I also know that many features are disabled for unactivated versions of Windows. I'm after the full, activated, no strings attached version if you know what I mean? Ha ha.

USAFRet

Titan
Cheers for you reply!

No, "many features" are NOT disabled.
I have a long running test of an Unactivated WIn 10 Pro, to test exactly this.

Installed in a VM on Dec 8, 2016, still running exactly as Day 1.
The sometimes appearing watermark at bottom right, and no customization of the desktop and taskbar.
That is it.

Everything else is exactly as an Activated install.

If you have a valid Win 7/8/8.1 license, you can probably use that on a new Win 10 install.
Of course, you can't continue to use that license elsewhere.

And "valid" + "on the cheap" doesn't exist. Anywhere you see it "cheap" is almost certainly not valid. If you know what I mean. Haha.

Solution

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Cheers for everyone's replies, much enlightening. =)

What I'll probably just do is throw an unlicensed copy of 10 on and see if I can't pull a key from one of my old rigs that I've got knocking about. I definitely want it activated though, as (and I probably should have mentioned this) this build is for my nephew who lives on the other side of the country from me, so I want to make sure there's as little 'messing around' as possible needed, if you know what I mean. Ha ha. I'll see how I fare anyway. Thanks again!

Jul 9, 2020
You can buy from different sites that sell software for cheap prices. If you don't have money to buy windows 10 from the microsoft site.You will still have legit copy of windows if you buy a key from this site even if it is cheap,and with this code you can get a discount of 18%
<Link removed by Moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

You don’t need any cheap illegal keys can use Windows 10 as long as you like without activating it

Jul 7, 2020
Hi everyone!

Right, to brass tacks. It's been a while since I had to purchase a copy of windows, but I remember that a while back you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you had a legal copy of 7/8/8.1. Is that still the case? I'm in need of a legitimate copy of Windows on the cheap so if that 'trick' still works I'll just pick up a copy of 7 or 8 on the cheap and then just upgrade?

Failing that, anyone have any suggestion on where to grab a cheap copy of 10?

Cheers!
I also upgrade my operating system from windows 7 to windows 10, Now how i can active my windows 10 !! please tell me the proccess.