Question Windows 10 upgrade on current hardware

Epic307

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
So I have a system I use for general work, emails, a bit of media etc. Spec are
.Q9450 CPU
.GeForce 8500GT (Possibly changing it for to 8800GT)
.4GB DDR2 2x4 RAM

The system runs windows 7 at the moment, but with support ending in 2020, I've been debating upgrading to 10 with current hardware.
I have had this system on 10 before it runs fine. My main concern is with future updates. Will they end up making the system unusable or will it be fine?
As a side note. Would it work to put something like a GTX 750TI 2GB in for some light gaming? (Example: if I had some friends around, they could login to their steam and connect with me on my gaming rig.) Same for the RAM. If there is such thing as a 4GB stick of DDR2. My MB only has 2 memory slots.

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't be worried about the updates that would follow if you're worried about the system being rendered unusable by said updates. It should be fine until it gives up the ghost on it's own...or that your apps are unusable on the current system.

Pertaining to your GPU, I'd be worried about the make and model of the PSU as well as the age of the unit, to understand it's effective output for the entire system. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Added measure, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard.

sumitg7

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
So I have a system I use for general work, emails, a bit of media etc. Spec are
.Q9450 CPU
.GeForce 8500GT (Possibly changing it for to 8800GT)
.4GB DDR2 2x4 RAM

The system runs windows 7 at the moment, but with support ending in 2020, I've been debating upgrading to 10 with current hardware.
I have had this system on 10 before it runs fine. My main concern is with future updates. Will they end up making the system unusable or will it be fine?
As a side note. Would it work to put something like a GTX 750TI 2GB in for some light gaming? (Example: if I had some friends around, they could login to their steam and connect with me on my gaming rig.) Same for the RAM. If there is such thing as a 4GB stick of DDR2. My MB only has 2 memory slots.
System will run fine with Win 10. The processor is very dated though, but it should not really be a problem. It will still function with future updates.
As for performance, maybe invest in a decent SSD and it will give your system longer life. I don't think a newer graphics card will push performance as processor will create bottleneck.
As for RAM 4GB DDR2 do exist but compatibility is dodgy with many systems, check your motherboard also, it might be limited to max ram of 4gb also. So upgrade is not possible

Epic307

Prominent
Mar 23, 2019
I wouldn't be worried about the updates that would follow if you're worried about the system being rendered unusable by said updates. It should be fine until it gives up the ghost on it's own...or that your apps are unusable on the current system.

Pertaining to your GPU, I'd be worried about the make and model of the PSU as well as the age of the unit, to understand it's effective output for the entire system. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Added measure, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard.
I would say the PSU highly needs an upgrade. It is only a 350W one. Full specs of the system are listed below.

CPU: Core2Quad Q9450 @2.66GHz
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DG31PR (J3E1)
Ram: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz Samsung
SSD/HDD: 465GB SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA Device (SATA )
GPU: GeForce 8500GT
PSU: Some generic brand. Not cheap to bad. (I am using this computer to write this. Unable to check it at the moment.)
Chassis: Can't find the model. Very similar to this. http://www.tisacom.com/casing_simbadda_sim_x_s-2627