[SOLVED] Windows 10 upgrade question from 8.1

Jun 25, 2020
Hi guys,
So back in 2014, I bought a genuine version of Windows 8.1 64bit. I proceeded to upgrade to windows 10 when it was free when that came out.
My question is, I will be making a new build including an SSD, Motherboard, GPU, CPU, Ram.
Can I still use this genuine version using the same key on my new build? I heard it is still possible to upgrade to windows 10 for free.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Hi guys,
So back in 2014, I bought a genuine version of Windows 8.1 64bit. I proceeded to upgrade to windows 10 when it was free when that came out.
My question is, I will be making a new build including an SSD, Motherboard, GPU, CPU, Ram.
Can I still use this genuine version using the same key on my new build? I heard it is still possible to upgrade to windows 10 for free.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
Hi guys,
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Ok thanks, so by reading this, I get the sense that it might work?
Yes, it probably will.

It WILL need a clean install on the new hardware.

Jun 25, 2020
Yes, it probably will.

It WILL need a clean install on the new hardware.
Ok, i will be using a new Western Digital NvMe SSD so that hold hard drive that has windows on it will be sitting on a shelf.