Windows 10 upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claymt

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Hey guys! I just had a question about Windows 10. If I buy a copy of Windows 8.1 now for a new PC I built, will I be able to reserve an upgrade to Windows 10 before the 29th/will I ever get a free upgrade?

Solution
Yes, and you do not have to 'reserve'. You can upgrade any time before July 29, 2016.

From the FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
If I buy a new PC today, can it upgrade to Windows 10?

Yes, new qualified PCs can run Windows 10. Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the Windows 8.1 laptop, tablet or desktop PCs that are for sale now. Device manufacturers make decisions about their device models and some Windows 10 features may not be available on certain devices, so be sure to check with the retailer or manufacturer for details.
-----------------------------------------------------
Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?

Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, and you do not have to 'reserve'. You can upgrade any time before July 29, 2016.

From the FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
If I buy a new PC today, can it upgrade to Windows 10?

Yes, new qualified PCs can run Windows 10. Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the Windows 8.1 laptop, tablet or desktop PCs that are for sale now. Device manufacturers make decisions about their device models and some Windows 10 features may not be available on certain devices, so be sure to check with the retailer or manufacturer for details.
-----------------------------------------------------
Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?

Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.