Windows 10 "UPGRADE" to Windows 7

rburb98

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I'm debating on if I could from Windows 10, load up my Windows 7 CD and perform the "Upgrade" option, and I'm wanting to know if this would work the same way as any "Upgrade" even though it's more of a downgrade. In theory, it should work, right?

I'm already aware that a clean install would be good, but since M$ pushed the fall update it basically "Upgraded" Windows 10 to a newer version of Windows 10 anyways, so I feel like my clean install isn't even worth it anymore.

USAFRet

Titan

In 'theory', or in practice....no.
You can't Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 7. Your Win 7 needs an actual license and a clean install.

rburb98

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

I have license keys for the Windows 7 install disc. So, will it work?

USAFRet

Titan

After a wipe and clean install, yes.
There is no direct upgrade/downgrade.....wipe and reinstall. Assuming that Win 7 license is not used anywhere else.

rburb98

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

I was under the impression that when you insert the install disc, it gives you the two options for "Upgrade" and "Advance", or whatever it mentions, and I thought you could just select upgrade from the disc even though I'm on Win 10. But since you're telling me I can't do it like that then I guess I'll stay with Windows 10, unfortunately because I don't want to clean install, I have horrible internet.

rburb98

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I was trying to cheat the system and use my install disc for Windows 7 so I could technically "UPGRADE" from Windows 10 to Windows 7, even though it's a downgrade obviously. I just don't want to clean install Windows 7 so I was going to use the upgrade feature mentioned when I insert the disc.