Windows 10 upgrades on Toshiba Satellite U945

tom256256

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
My laptop originally came with Window 8. I believe it has a small SSD with the OS on it. It booted really fast when new. Windows offered upgrade to 10 so I accepted. Over time Windows 10 had been updated many times and now my laptop takes forever to boot up. It also has the Windows 10 OS loaded twice as I have to select windows 10 or windows 10 before it will proceed with the boot. How to I fix it so it boots fast and only has one copy of windows 10?

Solution

For your reinstalls, you neglected to delete all the previous partitions. Including the boot partition.
As such, it simply applied the info for the next OS next to the previous boot properties, which is why you see the dupe entries.

I suggest starting over completely.
Reinstall Win...

USAFRet

Titan

For your reinstalls, you neglected to delete all the previous partitions. Including the boot partition.
As such, it simply applied the info for the next OS next to the previous boot properties, which is why you see the dupe entries.

I suggest starting over completely.
Reinstall Win 10, and this time delete ALL existing partitions. Start with a blank slate.
When it asks 'where', select Cusptom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions.
Delete ALL of them, and continue on.

Detailed steps for a clean install here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Solution

tom256256

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

tom256256

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Ok, I followed the URL and copied the procedure to move my Windows 10 to a USB for a clean reinstall. But I would like to try something else first.

I purchased a Kingston 240 GB SSD that I want to replace the old Hitachi 5400 RPM drive with in the laptop and install Windows 7 on the Kingston. I know it's a step back but I really do not like windows 10. Would I just pull the old Hitachi HDD and put in the kingston then install windows 7 from an external DVD? The concern is the toshiba laptop doesn't seem to want to recognize the Sony external DVD. What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that should work. Assuming you have a good Win 7 install DVD, and something to boot from.