Windows 10 - USB Storage devices don’t appear after removal and reinsertion

dksmiley

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
Good Day All

I was previously on Windows 8.1 without issues until Radeon stopped driver support for the R9.

I have upgraded to windows 10 without any hardware changes and have a strange problem, if I connect a usb drive it detects and works fine, but after disconnecting the hard/flash drive and reconnecting it makes the notification sound ,but doesn't display in explorer or disk management.

I have tried the troubleshooter for Hardware and devices and applied a fix and restarted and also uninstalled/reinstalled drivers via device management and tried to update them, checked power management settings as well as BIOS but the issue still persists.

Also the USB hard drive or flash displays with an exclamation in device manager but uninstall/reinstall does not work. Also a note, my usb mouse, keyboard, WiFi Dongle, Xbox receiver, PC remote all work fine, it seems this is specifically on Hard Drives and Flash Drive.

The only fix so far is to restart the PC which is becoming a pain.

If anyone has come across this issue and resolved it, I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Build:
Windows 10 Build 1709 Professional 64bit(up to date)
I5 6500
Asus Aura B150 Mobo
Antec Kuhler CPU closed waterloop
8bg Ripjaws
2gb Radeon Asus R9270x
Samsung Evo 120gb SSD
Antec 500w PSU
NZXT RGB Fans
NZXT Elite Chassis

dksmiley

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
Issue resolved :bounce:
It appears bitdefender 2015 was conflicting with my usb controller driver and mass storage drivers and causing them to malfunction and not load.

tested in safe mode and usb drives work without problem, started up with a clean boot with bitdefender disabled and my usb storage devices worked fine.

Resolved by updating to bitdefender 2017 total security.

It appears but defender 2015 is a little buggy with windows 10, it works with windows 8.1 without issues tho, lesson learnt :D