Question Windows 10 v1903 right speaker louder than left.

Aug 23, 2019
Computer specs :
intel i7 8700k
Gigabyte aorus k3 z370
Ram Corsair 3200mb
Soundcard Steinberg Ur22 MkII
Windows 10 v1903
Speakers : Yamaha HS7, M-Audio AV42

i have a problem with sound.. for some reason the left speaker seems kinda lower than the right one while the right one seems more bassy than the left at the same time.. thing is that i tried working with 2 different soundcards (the onboard and a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB) the problem remains, though i tried to change usb cable, swapping speaker cables etc (even bought new cables for that reason)... and always the right channel is louder... on yamaha speaker i even have to pan the right channel down to 70% (they have a big woofer and difference can be sound really greater) to make them sound correctly. it's a hell of difference.... even by using the onboard soundcard i notice the same problem and i am almost convised that the problem is coming out from the Windows itself... thing is that in DAW mode i can't really pan this way since the asio driver doesn't allow me to pan speakers like this while Master section on DAW console hasn't any option for this (Presonus Studio One v4) the other option is to go check my hearing :p

anyone else experiencing the same problem as me ? any advice? thank you very much in advance :)

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
There are a lot of variables. Generally speaking the volume control on the desktop and in the control panel covers both speakers.

Sometimes the reason you're hearing sound louder out of one speaker than the other is because it is STEREO and the thing making the most noise is not centered but on the right or left side. It is SUPPOSED to be that way. Use some tests:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWJaFD6R2s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrWHtvSog4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnrQEZBuv0Y

Then of course, there is the issue of the BALANCE adjustment which when manipulated shifts sound from one speaker to the other. BALANCE is found on some speaker sets (like speaker sets designed for PCs and to plug into the mobo and also is on tuner amps.

Your WIRES need to be correct polarity so for example if you have a positive wire coming off the tuner amp it needs to go on the positive terminal on the speaker. And if you're using silver/copper wires you should do it the same way, copper positive to positive on one line, silver negative to negative.

But if you're using a system that just plugs into the back light green port and the speaker system has a splitter built in then there's nothing to think about. But if you're using an amp of some description you do need to think about it.

Reactions: mohokios
Aug 23, 2019
i had to take it to the service after all... after a lot of search with the guys there, there are random times that one speaker for some reason goes out of phase... we tried it on several machines with my cables and several other cables, it goes random from times to times and ti goes out of phase. and we are looking for a solution for it atm :)

thank you very much for your time, really appreciated it ;)