Windows 10 verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthos4551

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
So im deciding to test windows 10 on one of my laptops and am going to do it through the media creation usb version as it is taking awhile for me to get my free upgrade. Im planning on doing a clean install but am wondering if it will still be free. After installing will it search for my key and verify it through that? Or will I end up having to buy a key?

Solution

I used the media creation tool and burned a dvd with Windows 10 Home. I was not asked for a key when upgrading for Windows 7 Home or on another pc with Windows 8.1 Home.
I opened the dvd from within Windows 7 and stated the upgrade that way. The installer gives the option of doing a clean install or keeping your apps and files. I chose the later. All my programs and games were...

arthos4551

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
When asked for the product key should I jues enter the key for my Windows 8.1? I am trying to get the free upgrade but want a clean install and dont want to install windows 10 and then do it from there.

ddpaulb

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

I used the media creation tool and burned a dvd with Windows 10 Home. I was not asked for a key when upgrading for Windows 7 Home or on another pc with Windows 8.1 Home.
I opened the dvd from within Windows 7 and stated the upgrade that way. The installer gives the option of doing a clean install or keeping your apps and files. I chose the later. All my programs and games were functional afterwards. My files were still there also. A couple of drivers I had weren't needed after the upgrade so I deleted them.
It's best to remove any security programs you have installed before you start the upgrade.

When you configure Windows 10 there are settings to turn off. Be sure and look for them. Things about not automatically connecting to wifi networks and not updating other pc's on your network when you receive windows updates.

You must setup a Microsoft account if you wish to use the mail and calendar apps, and the windows store.

I have been using Windows 10 since day 1 and I am very pleased.

One other note: Microsoft Edge web browser is fast and secure. But, there is no adblocker for it and you cannot import bookmarks from a file or from Chrome or Firefox.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.