Windows 10 vs Windows 7 on low-end PC

Gabe769

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys , I have just got my hands on a Winows 10 Ultimate x64 cd from a friend of mine , and I was wandering if you could tell me if i should upgarde from Windows 7 Ultimate x86 to win 10.
I would like to say that i like gaming on my PC , like LoL , Hearthstone , WoW and ome Steam games . What i'm saying by this is that i'd like performane as well .
my specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 42 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G31M-ES2L (Socket 775) 35 °C
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1680x1050@60Hz)
Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Gigabyte)
Storage
149GB Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 ATA Device (SATA) 50 °C
149GB SAMSUNG HD161HJ ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Thank you for reading this :)

Solution
i'd put a vote in for win 10 over win 7. i have an old netbook that is pitifully weak. it came with win 7 starter edition which was as stripped down as it could get. and it ran horribly. i upgraded to 10 and it runs smoother. it's still slow as molasses but it is noticeably faster than it was with win 7 on it.

the netbook has an old weak atom processor and 2 gb ram. you do want to look and make sure there are drivers for win 10 if you go that rout. a lot of older stuff did not get updated drivers. i have to settle for generic vga driver for the atom processor due to no win 10 support. i lose some functionality and control over the display due to this.

USAFRet

Titan
1. There is no "Windows 10 Ultimate x64"
2. Just because you have a install DVD does not mean you have a valid license to go with it.
3. Performancewise, there is pretty much zero difference between 7 and 10.
4. Whatever OS you put on that system will be slow, because the system itself is slow.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd put a vote in for win 10 over win 7. i have an old netbook that is pitifully weak. it came with win 7 starter edition which was as stripped down as it could get. and it ran horribly. i upgraded to 10 and it runs smoother. it's still slow as molasses but it is noticeably faster than it was with win 7 on it.

the netbook has an old weak atom processor and 2 gb ram. you do want to look and make sure there are drivers for win 10 if you go that rout. a lot of older stuff did not get updated drivers. i have to settle for generic vga driver for the atom processor due to no win 10 support. i lose some functionality and control over the display due to this.

Solution
2gb of ram is very restrictive.
You will want to continue to use a 32 bit version of windows.

If you have a valid license for windows 10, you might try installing a 32 bit version hoping to have a smaller windows.

Really, you will do better to buy a 2 x 2gb ram kit.
Windows license is 32/64 bit agnostic.
It is likely to take

TRENDING THREADS