Windows 10 weirdness ... and Reinstalling

paulb104

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I have a Windows 10 Pro computer, which I've been using for over a year without a single issue. I have a ssd drive C, and a sata D drive. All my stuff is on the D, with only windows on the C.

After I reboot, everything will be fine. Then, somewhere between five minutes and about thirty minutes, I cannot close, or open, windows. Then the Start menu is unresponsive. I have to physically power off the pc and then restart.

I have scanned with Defender, Eset, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. No issues. I ran Error Checking on the ssd (is that still chkdsk?). Nothing. I ran SFC /Scannow. The log file has over twenty five thousand lines of errors. Nothing helps.

Then I reset the pc, keeping my data. So all my programs are gone (one hundred or so) and the problem persists.

If I reinstall Windows 10, with "Remove Everything" I know it wipes the C drive. Will it wipe my D drive as well? Should I physically detach my D drive first?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
"I have a Windows 10 Pro computer, which I've been using for over a year without a single issue."

Only if you were on the Insider Program. Win 10 actual release was only 9 months ago.

But yes, if you are going to reinstall with "Remove Everything", disconnect all other drives.

paulb104

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
USAFRet, thanks for the reply. Nine months, twelve months, close enough :)

I did unplug my 3TB sata and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. Almost everything seems to be working now except that Windows does not see my 3TB drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming that drive was working before, and is connected properly, I see no reason why it should not be seen.

TRENDING THREADS