Windows 10 Welcome Screen issue

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
Hi All, This is a variation on a theme. When I boot-up I have no trouble getting into Windows 10 but sometimes (less than half the time), after I've let it hibernate, I move the mouse to wake it up, click the picture on the screen and it goes to the desktop but without the sign-in popup. No cursor. I can't figure any way to proceed from there other than a hard boot. Control, Alt Delete doesn't even phase it.

Other Welcome screen issues have been addressed here and elsewhere but they seem to be on boot-up. This only happens to me after the machine has gone to sleep because of inactivity.

Any help or a point in the right direction would help. Thanks, sh

Solution
I'd disable hibernate. Windows has for several generations had trouble with hibernate on certain hardware configurations. To save power you can change the power settings to have it turn off the screen/go to sleep and prompt for password on wake up. If it's asleep for a couple hours just have it shut down. Win10 starts up much faster than previous versions of windows.

It's just a work around but hibernate isn't that much different from a full shutdown. Except in your case it's worse.
I'd disable hibernate. Windows has for several generations had trouble with hibernate on certain hardware configurations. To save power you can change the power settings to have it turn off the screen/go to sleep and prompt for password on wake up. If it's asleep for a couple hours just have it shut down. Win10 starts up much faster than previous versions of windows.

It's just a work around but hibernate isn't that much different from a full shutdown. Except in your case it's worse.

Solution

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
I went into the power settings and it is on "sleep" rather than hibernate. I did change requiring a password when it wakes and I'll see how that affects the issue. Thanks for your help! sh

TRENDING THREADS