[SOLVED] Windows 10 went from Pro (activated) to Enterprise (not activated) over night

mandache.eduard48

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
Hey everyone, yesterday night I saw that for some reason on my desktop the message:
"Activate Windows.
Go to Settings to activate Windows."

For some reason my license automatically changed, from a Windows 10 Pro, activated version (with an OEM license, no shady software for activation, no gimmicks), to an Enterprise version. I know that some licenses can expire but in my case it was an OEM one, not a Volume License, and even if I've gotten a Volume License one, I didn't see any warning that my license was going to expire. I haven't changed my hardware nor my Microsoft account, I tried all fixes, nothing. Attempted to reset the PC 2 times with no luck either. Anything I can do at this point to get my license back? Would prefer to try all options before eventually getting another license key.
Thank you in advance for the answers

Solution
First off, you will need to contact Microsoft to see what's up with the licence key and the version also changing. You will need to prove your ownership of the licence key so your receipt comes in handy. Now, one other thing to note is that you will need to purchase the licence key from an authorized seller so you don't fall victim to foul play.

You could back up all critical content from the system and format and reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, prior to contacting Microsoft.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, you will need to contact Microsoft to see what's up with the licence key and the version also changing. You will need to prove your ownership of the licence key so your receipt comes in handy. Now, one other thing to note is that you will need to purchase the licence key from an authorized seller so you don't fall victim to foul play.

You could back up all critical content from the system and format and reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, prior to contacting Microsoft.

Solution

mandache.eduard48

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
I guess making a bootable drive is really the last thing contacting them. I got it digitally so I don't a physical receipt (and doubt I'll find the email with it). I also saw on their site when I logged in right when that happened that one second it was displaying my PC was running the Pro version, the next second after a refresh of the page it turned into Enterprise, all out of nowhere. Hope it's just some unfortunate coincidences that lead to an error or something, thank you for the answer.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you purchased a legitimate digital copy, when you log back into the site you purchased from, you can always view/print your invoice/receipt... no need to have kept the email (though it's something I'd have STRONGLY advised doing if the email is the only thing that had your license key).

Still, if it's an OEM version, I think that after you first installed it, the license should be permanently associated with your motherboard.

mandache.eduard48

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
If you purchased a legitimate digital copy, when you log back into the site you purchased from, you can always view/print your invoice/receipt... no need to have kept the email (though it's something I'd have STRONGLY advised doing if the email is the only thing that had your license key).

Still, if it's an OEM version, I think that after you first installed it, the license should be permanently associated with your motherboard.
That is the problem: I got my license a VERY LONG time ago and God if I can remember. I followed Lutfij's advice at it turned out I was just getting some errors when installing. Thanks for the support both of you.

Reactions: King_V