Question Windows 10 will boot when my HDD is plugged in but not with SSD

Jul 2, 2020
Hello everyone,

So, I had a 500GB western digital blue SSD that had windows 10 on it, along with a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. My system would take forever to boot, sometimes stuck in a boot loop for more than 10 times at a time and then having either the Driver error state code on the blue screen or simply restarting itself over and over until it started it.

I had a friend come look at it, and what we ended up doing was taking out the SSD, putting windows on the HDD and the computer booted up fine, no issues at all. The boot times weren't even bad with the HDD.

We thought maybe it was a bad SSD, so I purchased another brand, a 256GB Silicon Power, took out the HDD and put Windows 10 on the new SSD. Windows would not boot and at one point didn't even recognize that Windows 10 was on the SSD.

So we tried wiping the SSD, and using the HDD as the boot option and even with nothing on the SSD, my pc wouldn't boot.

My question is, what could be the issue, is a bad motherboard, is a bad PSU? It is very confusing to me and I have no idea what's wrong. Why doesn't my pc work whenever a SSD is plugged in but does when one isn't?

As of now, my pc is booting off of the HDD and it isn't slow enough to complain about but I know having a SDD would make it boot faster.

If anyone could explain what the problem is, I would greatly appreciate it.

My system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cpu Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 16gb 3000
Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Video Card: Radeon RX 580 XFX GTS Black Core Edition
Case: Fractal Design Focus G
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze (520 Watts, Fully Mod)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020
I used separate sata cables. Even tried switching the SSD to sata port 1 and 2 and it wouldn't boot correctly.
Yes, I do have the most recent Bios for the Ryzen 5 3600

Jul 2, 2020
About the partition, I'mt not entirely sure because my friend was the one who cleaned all the data on the SSD, but even with a new SSD (out of the box), windows 10 was recognized on it but the boot was stuck in a loop or took longer than 5-10mins.
I believe he changed the boot order though, and when I was checking myself, I made sure the boot order was correct.

Might be out of my expertise at this point lol..